Complete Analytical Exact Solutions of Navier-Stokes Eqs: Fluid Mechanics Book

In summary, there are very few known exact solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations and they are typically published in various papers. While there is a journal paper that discusses an exact solution for magnetohydrodynamic flow, it may not be applicable to real life fluid mechanics problems. Therefore, searching for an exact solution may not be a useful use of time and effort.
makethings
Is there a book, series of notes, lectures, PDF, PPT or anything that contains all known complete analytical exact solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, information regarding exact solutions to the N-S equations is mostly just published in several papers.

Well then, I wonder if I should make it my mission to search deep into every fluids text and journal paper and compile one myself.

An exact solution of the Navier-Stokes equations for magnetohydrodynamic flow

Journal Acta Mechanica
Publisher Springer Wien
ISSN 0001-5970 (Print) 1619-6937 (Online)
Issue Volume 113, Numbers 1-4 / March, 1995

maybe this is what you are looking for

makethings said:
Well then, I wonder if I should make it my mission to search deep into every fluids text and journal paper and compile one myself.

You could. But from what I understand, the conditions in which an exact solution can be found are not really applicable to anything useful. So in a nutshell, when people are looking for solutions to real life fluid mechanics problems they don't go looking for an exact solution but a method to give them an accurate approximation.

makethings said:

Don't waste your time.

To my knowledge, there are very few exact solutions to the NS equations. The conditions that could be solved are very simple.

Here's an intro to a journal paper:
http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.fl.23.010191.001111

1. What are Navier-Stokes equations?

Navier-Stokes equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid in terms of its velocity, pressure, density, and temperature. They are widely used in the field of fluid mechanics to model and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations.

2. Why are complete analytical exact solutions of Navier-Stokes equations important?

Complete analytical exact solutions of Navier-Stokes equations provide a complete understanding of the behavior of fluids in different scenarios. They allow scientists to accurately predict the behavior of fluids, which is crucial in fields such as aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and oceanography. They also serve as a benchmark for numerical solutions, allowing for the validation of computational fluid dynamics methods.

3. What are some applications of Navier-Stokes equations?

Navier-Stokes equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, meteorology, oceanography, and engineering. They are used to study the flow of air around an airplane, the movement of water in a river, the circulation of blood in our bodies, and the behavior of fluids in pipes and pumps, among many other examples.

4. Can Navier-Stokes equations be solved analytically for all situations?

No, Navier-Stokes equations cannot be solved analytically for all situations. In fact, there are only a few cases where exact analytical solutions are known. In most cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solutions to these equations. However, efforts are continuously being made to find more complete analytical exact solutions.

5. How can one use the book "Complete Analytical Exact Solutions of Navier-Stokes Eqs: Fluid Mechanics Book"?

The book "Complete Analytical Exact Solutions of Navier-Stokes Eqs: Fluid Mechanics Book" can be used as a reference for scientists and engineers working in the field of fluid mechanics. It provides a comprehensive collection of analytical exact solutions for Navier-Stokes equations and discusses their applications in different scenarios. It can also be used as a textbook for students studying fluid mechanics or computational fluid dynamics.