How do I determine the volume of a revolved area using integrals?

In summary, the speaker is a calculus student struggling to understand how to find the volume of the area between two trigonometric functions when rotated around a vertical line. They are specifically struggling with setting up the integral and choosing which function is the outer radius and which is the inner radius. They also mention the difficulty of finding bounds due to the identical y coordinates. The expert summarizer provides a simplified example and suggests finding the integral of the absolute difference between the two functions.
Zach:D
Hello. I am a calculus student currently studying integrals. I am able to logically break down most problems, but I came to a breaking point today. I am trying to understand how to revolve the area between two trigonometric functions about a vertical line. The conditions I am trying to satisfy is when these functions form an area that is apparently symmetric and end on identical y coordinates. To simplify my question, I'll create an example.

Revolve the area enclosed by f(x) and g(x) about the line x= -1 on the interval [0, [tex]\pi[/tex]]
f(x) = sin(x)
g(x) = -sin(x)

I am having incredible difficulty merely setting up the integral. Clearly, I'll need something like this:

V = [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] ( something + 1)^2 - ( something + 1)^2 dy

I understand the concept of selecting f(y) and g(y) and subtracting the axis' x-coordinate, but I do not understand how to choose which one is an outer radius and which one is an inner radius. Additionally, because the points that they intersect at are identical, I am not sure what bounds to use without getting a bad answer (v=0). I appreciate your time and hope that you will forgive my English.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To find area between two functions you have to find integral of module of differences of them.

But in current situation it's a bit easier:
[tex]sin(x) > -sin(x)[/tex] on [tex][0, \pi][/tex]
[tex]v = \int_o^\pi sin(x)-(-sin(x)) dx = 2 \int_0^\pi sin(x) dx[/tex]

My English is also not really good :wink:

What is the formula for finding the volume of a revolved area?

The formula for finding the volume of a revolved area is V = πr²h, where r is the radius of the revolved shape and h is the height or length of the revolved area.

How do you determine the radius of a revolved shape?

The radius of a revolved shape is the distance from the center of the shape to the outer edge. This can also be calculated by dividing the diameter (distance across the shape) by 2.

What units should be used for the measurements in the volume formula?

In order to get the correct result for volume, the measurements used for the radius and height should be in the same unit. It is important to check that they are both in either inches, feet, meters, or another unit of length.

Can the volume of a revolved area be negative?

No, the volume of a revolved area cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by an object and it is always a positive value.

What types of shapes can be used to calculate the volume of a revolved area?

The volume of a revolved area can be calculated for any shape that can be rotated around an axis, such as a circle, rectangle, triangle, or even irregular shapes. As long as the shape has a defined radius and height, the volume formula can be applied.