The Clebsch-Gordan Theorem: Proving the Symmetric Spinor Tensors as IRR of SU(2)

In summary, the Clebsch-Gordan theorem states that the tensor product of two spin representations results in a direct sum of spin representations with spins ranging from the sum of the two original spins to the absolute difference between them. This can be proven by symmetrizing the tensor product and contracting indices using the invariant symbol.
sshaep
Clebsch-Gordan Theorem??

symmetric spinor tensors are IRR of SU(2), i.e., [tex]T_{\undergroup{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_r}}[/tex]

The Clebsch-Gordan theorem says,

[tex]{\{j_1\}}\otimes{\{j_2\}}={\{j_1+j_2\}}\oplus{\{j_1+j_2-1\}}\oplus\cdots\oplus{\{|j_1-j_2|\}}[/tex].

Can I prove this theorem by symmetrizing the tensor product,

[tex]T_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_{2j_1}}\otimes T_{\beta_1\cdots\beta_{2j_2}}[/tex]=(express sum of fully symmetric tensors) ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

My suspicion is yes, but it will be hard. Smells like something that you'd do with Young tableaux.

Edit: I think the CG theorem involves both symmetric and antisymmetric tensors. Do you know how to prove the theorem in the usual way (highest weight procedure)?

The completely symmetric part of the tensor product will give you the higest spin representation. After that, I would guess you contract indices using the invariant symbol:

[tex] \epsilon^{\alpha \beta} = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 &1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

In other words, to couple the rank n representation T with the rank m represenation S, define:

[tex] A_{\alpha_1 ... \alpha_{n+m-2}} = \epsilon^{\alpha \beta} T_{\alpha \alpha_1 ... \alpha_{n-1}} S_{\beta \alpha_n ... \alpha_{n+m-2} [/tex]

[tex] B_{\alpha_1 ... \alpha_{n+m-4}} = \epsilon^{\alpha \beta} \epsilon^{\gamma \delta }T_{\alpha \gamma \alpha_1 ... \alpha_{n-2}} S_{\beta \delta \alpha_{n-1} ... \alpha_{n+m-4} [/tex]

and so on, where you also symmetrize over the [itex]\alpha_i[/itex].

1. What is the Clebsch-Gordan Theorem?

The Clebsch-Gordan Theorem is a mathematical formula used in quantum mechanics to calculate the total angular momentum of a composite system made up of two or more individual particles. It is also used to determine the possible outcomes of combining two angular momenta.

2. What is the significance of proving the symmetric spinor tensors as irreducible representations of SU(2)?

Proving the symmetric spinor tensors as irreducible representations of SU(2) is significant because it helps in understanding the fundamental symmetries of the physical world. It also provides a mathematical framework for describing the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the Clebsch-Gordan Theorem used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Clebsch-Gordan Theorem is used to calculate the total angular momentum of a composite system and determine the possible outcomes of combining angular momenta. It is also used in the study of quantum entanglement and in the analysis of atomic and nuclear spectra.

4. Can the Clebsch-Gordan Theorem be applied to systems other than SU(2)?

Yes, the Clebsch-Gordan Theorem can be applied to systems other than SU(2). It is a general mathematical tool for calculating the total angular momentum of composite systems and can be extended to other groups such as SU(3) and SO(3).

5. What are some real-world applications of the Clebsch-Gordan Theorem?

The Clebsch-Gordan Theorem has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used in quantum mechanics to understand the behavior of particles with spin, as well as in spectroscopy to analyze atomic and nuclear spectra. It also has applications in quantum computing, where it is used to encode and manipulate quantum information.