Straw Bridge Building Project Help

In summary, the group is working on a straw building project and is in need of an interview from a real life engineer for their Girder Bridge design. One suggestion given is to use a truss bridge with double layers of straws, as referenced in the provided link.
OSX2k9
Currently I am doing a straw building project with a group and we are in need of an interview from a real life engineer. So if anyone can help me with my design on our Girder Bridge then it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an engineer, and I see it may be to late, but depending on your materials and restrictions, I may suggest a truss bridge. If you double up the straws enough, the bridge should hold well enough. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_bridge" is a link. Maybe search it on whichever search engine you use as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

I understand the importance of gathering information and advice from experts in a particular field. In this case, seeking an interview with a real life engineer for your straw bridge building project is a great idea. Engineers have the knowledge and experience to provide valuable insights and suggestions for your design.

I would recommend reaching out to local engineering firms or universities to see if they have any engineers who would be willing to speak with you and provide guidance for your project. You can also try contacting professional engineering organizations for potential contacts.

When conducting the interview, be sure to ask specific questions about your Girder Bridge design and how to improve it. Also, take notes and document the information gathered to reference back to during your project.

Wishing you the best of luck with your project and I hope you are able to find a helpful engineer for your interview.

1. What is the purpose of a straw bridge building project?

The purpose of a straw bridge building project is to design, construct, and test a bridge made entirely out of straws. This project helps to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and engineering skills.

2. What materials are needed for a straw bridge building project?

The main material needed for a straw bridge building project is straws. Other materials that may be useful include tape, scissors, rulers, and weights. It is up to the individual to decide which materials to use for their specific project.

3. How do you design a strong straw bridge?

To design a strong straw bridge, it is important to consider factors such as the weight of the bridge, the span of the bridge, and the shape of the bridge. Triangular shapes are often the strongest for straw bridges. Additionally, reinforcing the joints with tape or additional straws can increase the strength of the bridge.

4. How do you test the strength of a straw bridge?

To test the strength of a straw bridge, you can add weights to the bridge until it collapses. It is important to record the weight at which the bridge collapses and to repeat the test multiple times to ensure accurate results. You can also test the bridge by seeing how much weight it can hold before it starts to deform.

5. What are some common challenges when building a straw bridge?

Some common challenges when building a straw bridge include achieving stability, finding the right balance between weight and strength, and connecting the straws securely. Additionally, it can be difficult to create a design that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional.