Google Chrome OS: Google's Challenge to Microsoft

In summary, Google is planning to release a new operating system that is based on the Chrome web browser. The system is designed to be used on small, low-cost computers, and is intended to challenge the dominance of Microsoft's Windows operating system.
chaoseverlasting
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6665703.ece

Google is to launch a new operating system, in its most direct challenge yet to the dominance of Microsoft.

Google Chrome OS will be a development of its Chrome web browser. The search giant initially aims to install the new system on small, low-cost computers known as netbooks, which are currently outselling more powerful personal computers. Google said that it believed the software would eventually be used on PCs as well.

The move is likely to intensify the rivalry between Google and Microsoft, whose Windows operating system is used on the majority of the world’s personal computers. Operating systems help to run and control the basic functions of a computer.

Google said that the project was a natural extension of its Chrome browser and was necessary because older operating systems were designed at a time when the internet did not exist...

*mod edit: fixed for copyright compliance*

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Google is getting as bad as Microsoft, perhaps worse. The loss of analog tv in the US was largely due to millions of dollars worth of lobbying by Google so that they could get the bandwidth for a cell phone company they wanted to start.

Google seems determined to monopolize the entire communications industry.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Its pretty cool to have a direct competitor to Microsoft and have a real choice, but what to stop Google from being the next Microsoft?

chaoseverlasting said:
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Its pretty cool to have a direct competitor to Microsoft and have a real choice, but what to stop Google from being the next Microsoft?
Exactly, they're doing this to make money. Of course that's what companies do. I think Google is getting a bit too big.

Of course more options can be a good thing. No problem for a home user, but I see yet another OS as a nightmare for companies that need to have seemless integration.

Still, a commercial (and free) alternative to Windows would be heaven sent. I absolutely hate Windows and would have switched to Linux already, but my sister also uses this computer and well, I would have been offered as blood sacrifice to Microsoft for switching over to anything that requires more than a mouse for her to use. Hopefully Chrome OS will at least be bug free seeing as its going to be an open source OS.

borek@invincible ~/logs $ zcat statslog.200906* | grep -c Firefox
borek@invincible ~/logs $ zcat statslog.200906* | grep -c Opera
borek@invincible ~/logs $ zcat statslog.200906* | grep -c Chrome
borek@invincible ~/logs $ zcat statslog.200906* | grep -c MSIE

Somehow I doubt in the fast success of the OS. But everyone trying to disrupt M$ monopole deserves applause.

Even if it is other monopole. When there are two monopoles, they are no longer monopoles.

chaoseverlasting said:
Still, a commercial (and free) alternative to Windows would be heaven sent. I absolutely hate Windows and would have switched to Linux already, but my sister also uses this computer and well, I would have been offered as blood sacrifice to Microsoft for switching over to anything that requires more than a mouse for her to use. Hopefully Chrome OS will at least be bug free seeing as its going to be an open source OS.
It will be interesting to see. Linux is great. I hate how dumbed down the home version of XP is. I'm spoiled with the professional version, although it's still a major disappointment compared to their NT version. That was so logical and intuitive, then our sys admin decided that we'd switch to Windows 95. :cry:

I think this is awesome what Google is doing. I am very eager to see how they will change the design of operating systems with Chrome OS. Google Wave is a very nice modern approach to redesigning how we use emails and it will be interesting to how the OS would be redesigned.

What I don't understand is why ChromeOS is using the Linux kernel? Who needs another Linux distribution? Why not create something new for a change?

It also echoes my frustration with bing. Sure, sure, "decision-engine" blah blah, competition with Google and Yahoo, blah blah. It's all fine for the companies. Of course, they need to compete. But for the end user, why do we even want something that's pretty much...been there, done that? It frustrates the consumer because it's another thing to worry about and in reality, doesn't offer anything new. Can't companies create something new for a change?

We have Windows, Mac OS and Linux basically, why create another Chrome OS to throw into the mix (which uses the linux kernel, that I still don't get)? Similarly, when Apple released iPod, Microsoft had to compete by releasing Zune. Again, why can't companies stop making the same darn thing and compete by making something new (i.e., expanding into a different market)?

noblerare said:
What I don't understand is why ChromeOS is using the Linux kernel? Who needs another Linux distribution? Why not create something new for a change?
Because it's there ? They don't fancy repeating 15years of Linux development by 1000s of programmers to support 1000s of devices.
Take a unix kernel that works, put a pretty desktop in front of it and you have a winning product - at least if you put a silhouette of a fruit on the back

noblerare said:

It also echoes my frustration with bing. Sure, sure, "decision-engine" blah blah, competition with Google and Yahoo, blah blah. It's all fine for the companies. Of course, they need to compete. But for the end user, why do we even want something that's pretty much...been there, done that? It frustrates the consumer because it's another thing to worry about and in reality, doesn't offer anything new. Can't companies create something new for a change?

We have Windows, Mac OS and Linux basically, why create another Chrome OS to throw into the mix (which uses the linux kernel, that I still don't get)? Similarly, when Apple released iPod, Microsoft had to compete by releasing Zune. Again, why can't companies stop making the same darn thing and compete by making something new (i.e., expanding into a different market)?

Most of current technology looks like a big chunk to me and many idiots who are willing to spend money on it IMO.

I wanted to make a thread about this few days ago if they have too much of capital (including talent) and now are just wasting resources...

There are now more cell phones than computers, there are more TVs than both put together, soon more people will access the net through their phone (or TV) than a computer. The biggest growth area in computers are cheap laptops for online use.
With people accessing the web through general purpose computers it doesn't matter to Google who built them or what OS they run.
But once people accept the restrictions on cell phones (like the appstore) they might accept a MS based phone only including IE or which can only search bing.
Google are not happy about the prospect of HW or SW makers and service providers locking users in.

Well, like so many things, software is a monopoly/oligopoly. Way of the world, only the most extremely wealth start-ups could ever afford to make a significant dent in the market share.

maverick_starstrider said:
Well, like so many things, software is a monopoly/oligopoly. Way of the world, only the most extremely wealth start-ups could ever afford to make a significant dent in the market share.
Or geeky scandanvian kids in their dormroom.

1. What is Google Chrome OS?

Google Chrome OS is an operating system developed by Google that is designed to work primarily with web applications. It is based on the Linux kernel and uses the Google Chrome web browser as its main user interface.

2. How does Google Chrome OS differ from other operating systems?

Unlike traditional operating systems, such as Windows or macOS, Google Chrome OS is designed to be lightweight and highly integrated with the internet. It relies heavily on cloud storage and web-based applications, rather than locally installed software.

3. What are the advantages of using Google Chrome OS?

Some advantages of using Google Chrome OS include its fast boot-up time, automatic updates, and strong security features. It also offers seamless integration with other Google products and services, such as Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Docs.

4. Can I use Google Chrome OS on any device?

No, Google Chrome OS is only available on specific devices, such as Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. These devices are designed specifically for the operating system and come with built-in hardware optimized for web-based applications.

5. Is Google Chrome OS a threat to Microsoft's dominance in the operating system market?

It is difficult to predict the future of the operating system market, but Google Chrome OS does pose a potential threat to Microsoft's dominance. With more users turning to web-based applications and cloud storage, Google Chrome OS offers a unique and appealing alternative to traditional operating systems.