Polybutene (Isobutylene/butene copolymer) 100% by wt.

• Thread starter AmRad
  • Start date
In summary, the individuals are seeking advice on what to do with a large amount of Polybutene product that they are unable to return to the manufacturer. They are asking for suggestions on who might be interested in purchasing the product and how to go about finding potential buyers. One suggestion is to contact the company they purchased it from and inquire about industries that use Polybutene. Another suggestion is to use the Thomas Register to find industries in their area and cold call them. It is also suggested to buy a talkative salesman lunch in order to gather information about potential buyers. One potential use for the product is as a bird repellant, which could be sold to airports. The individual is grateful for the responses and has received the information they were looking for
AmRad
Folks-

Need some advice.

We purchased a great deal of Polybutene product in steel square containers (approx 500gallons each) only to find that it will not work for our application. We are unable to return it to the manufacturer (long story).

We are trying to figure out who might be interested in this product either on a manufacturing level or other.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You might go back to the company you purchased it from and try to get them to tell you what industries use that particular grade of polybutene. Thomas Register search for those industries in your vicinity (to minimize shipping costs) and cold call them...

If you have a particularly talkative salesman(person?) buy them a lunch (2-martini works great) while you pry out information from them identifying who their largest customer would be for that product. Kind of tricky if you have already told your salesman that you can't use the stuff.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_Products.jsp?Rec_Id=PC33981&Chem_Name=Polybutenes&PC_Code=011402" is an interesting use of the stuff. Is it sticky?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bird repellant industry is putting all the mom and pop bird removers out of business.

Gents-

Thanks for your responses. The physics forum police scolded me for seemingly "advertising" this product on the forum. My hope is that no one construed it in that regard. I was truly looking for honest recommendation of an "industry" that I may contact on my own. I recd the answers I was looking for, now I can go from here.

All my best
RMalatak

1. What is Polybutene?

Polybutene is a polymer that is made up of isobutylene and butene copolymers. It is a synthetic substance that is often used in various industrial and commercial applications.

2. How is Polybutene made?

Polybutene is made through a process called copolymerization, where isobutylene and butene monomers are combined and react together to form long chains of polybutene molecules.

3. What are the main properties of Polybutene?

Polybutene is known for its excellent thermal stability, high chemical resistance, and low water absorption. It also has good flexibility, low density, and high transparency, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

4. Where is Polybutene commonly used?

Polybutene is commonly used as an additive in lubricants, adhesives, and sealants due to its high viscosity and lubricating properties. It is also used in the production of packaging materials, medical devices, and cosmetics.

5. Is Polybutene safe for use?

Polybutene is generally considered safe for use in various applications. However, like any chemical substance, proper handling and use are important to avoid potential hazards. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when handling Polybutene.