Proof of limits with fraction

In summary, the limit of (x^n - a^n) / (x - a) when x tends to a is equal to n.a^(n-1), where n is a fraction. This can be proven by rewriting the expression and using the fact that the limit of x-a/x-a is equal to 1 when x tends to a.
joshua.sl
prove that limit of --- (x[tex]^{n}[/tex]-a[tex]^{n}[/tex])
---------- ---------------- (x-a)
when " x " tends to " a "

equals to ---- n.a[tex]^{n-1}[/tex] ----- ****where " n " is a fraction..

we have been given this and I've got no idea on how to prove it although i can do sums with this equation when " n " is a fraction

PS this is my first post and i have no experience in witing equations in posts ..sorry if I've done any mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Proof: Let us consider the term (x^n - a^n) / (x - a).We can rewrite this expression in the form n.a^(n-1).(x-a/x-a). Now, since x tends to a, the limit of x-a/x-a is 1. Hence, the limit of (x^n - a^n) / (x - a) is equal to n.a^(n-1). Therefore, the limit of (x^n - a^n) / (x - a) when x tends to a is equal to n.a^(n-1), as desired.

1. What is the definition of a limit with fractions?

A limit with fractions is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is typically written in the form of a fraction with the variable approaching a specific value.

2. How do you prove a limit with fractions?

To prove a limit with fractions, you must use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit. This involves choosing a value for epsilon, which represents the desired level of precision, and finding a corresponding value for delta, which represents the distance between the input and the desired limit value. If you can find a delta that satisfies the definition, then you have proven the limit with fractions.

3. What are some common strategies for proving limits with fractions?

Some common strategies for proving limits with fractions include using algebraic manipulations to simplify the limit expression, using the squeeze theorem, and using the definition of a limit to find a suitable delta. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties of limits and basic algebraic rules to manipulate the expressions.

4. Can you give an example of proving a limit with fractions?

Yes, for example, let's say we want to prove the limit of the function f(x) = (x^2 - 4)/(x - 2) as x approaches 2. We can begin by simplifying the expression to f(x) = x + 2. Then, we can choose an epsilon value, say 0.1, and find a corresponding delta value, in this case, 0.05. We can then show that for all x values within 0.05 of 2, the function will be within 0.1 of the limit value of 4. Therefore, we have proven the limit with fractions.

5. How can understanding limits with fractions be useful in real-world applications?

Limits with fractions are useful in real-world applications because they can help us understand the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value. This can be applied to many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and predict real-world phenomena. For example, limits with fractions can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the growth of a population, or the efficiency of a chemical reaction.