Equilibrium constant

In summary: I determine that?You would need to include the volume of the vessel (10.0L) and the weight of the iodine (52.7g). You would also need to use the equilibrium constant for the reaction (1.70).
johnny b

Homework Statement

Calculate the equilibrium constant for the reaction
H2(g) + I2(g) <---> 2HI(g)
at 80oC. The vapor pressure of solid iodine is 0.0216 bar at that temperature. If 52.7g of solid iodine are placed in a 10.0 L vessel at 80.0oC, what is the minimum amount of hydrogen gas that must be introduced in order to remove all of the solid iodine?

Homework Equations

ΔrG = ΔfG(products) - ΔfG(reactants)
ln K = -ΔrG / RT

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔfG for HI(g) = 1.70, for H2(g) = 0 and for I2(g) = 19.33 KJ mol-1
ΔrG = 2(1.7) - 0 - 19.33
ΔrG = -15.93 KJ mol-1
ln K = -ΔrG / RT
ln k = -(-15.93E3) / (8/314)(353) = 5.42
k = 225.9

Now I need to find the minimum amount of hydrogen gas and I have no idea where to start. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need enough hydrogen to shift equilibrium right till the pressure of iodine is below 0.0216 bar.

--
methods

I'm not sure how to do that.. do I use the equilibrium constant? How would I incorporate the amount of iodine given?

General approach is to write three equations - one will be the equilibrium constant, one iodine mass balance (mass of iodine present in HI and present as unreacted I2) and mass balance for hydrogen (again - in HI and unreacted). Fourth equation is condition mentioned above. Solve for total number of moles of hydrogen.

--
methods

EDIT
I'm not sure what a mass balance is..
mass of iodine is 126.9 g/mol mass of H is 1.008g/mol
mass of iodine in HI is 126.9 g/mol
mass of iodine in I2 is 253.8 g/mol and there are 2 moles so 507.6 g
mass of H in HI is 1.008 g
mass of H in H2 is 2.016
k=[C]c/[A]ab
Sorry I'm still really confused.. where I need to include the 10.0L as the volume of the vessel? And the 52.7g of iodine..

Last edited:

1. What is an equilibrium constant?

An equilibrium constant is a numerical value that represents the relative concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is a measure of the extent to which a reaction has reached equilibrium.

2. How is an equilibrium constant calculated?

The equilibrium constant (Kc or Kp) is calculated by dividing the concentration of the products (raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients) by the concentration of the reactants (also raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients).

3. What is the significance of the magnitude of the equilibrium constant?

The magnitude of the equilibrium constant indicates whether the reaction favors the formation of products or reactants at equilibrium. A large K value (>1) indicates that the reaction favors products, while a small K value (<1) indicates that the reaction favors reactants. A K value of 1 indicates that the reaction is at equilibrium with equal concentrations of products and reactants.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is affected by changes in temperature. Generally, an increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction (one in which heat is absorbed), while a decrease in temperature will favor the exothermic reaction (one in which heat is released).

5. What is the relationship between equilibrium constant and reaction rate?

The equilibrium constant does not directly affect the reaction rate, as it is a measure of the concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium. However, the rate of a reaction can influence the equilibrium constant, as changes in the reaction rate can shift the equilibrium position and therefore change the concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium.