Recommend best book on fluid mechanics

In summary: The Munson book is very good. You really should get it if you can. If you are worried about the price, you can purchase a used version or an older edition of the book.My fluid dynamics course used "Fundamental Mechanics of Fluids" by Iain Currie. If you want a good fundamental understanding of fluid dynamics, this is the book to have. In the first chapter alone, he introduces the Reynolds Transport Theorem and derives the Navier-Stokes Equations for a Newtonian fluid. You have to wade through hundreds of pages to cover the same amount of material in...
R Power
Hi
I am going to take lectures on fluid mechanics in january. Which book would you recommend ?
The book should be more theorotical in approach so as to clear concepts in detail.

Thanx

Engineering news on Phys.org
R Power said:
Hi
I am going to take lectures on fluid mechanics in january. Which book would you recommend ?
The book should be more theorotical in approach so as to clear concepts in detail.

Thanx

Are you an aerospace, or mechanical engineer: and which book is recommended by your professor?

If mechanical: Get Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics by Munson, Young, & Okishi, 5th ed.

If Aerospace: Get Andersons book: Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, 4th ed.

If you have the available budget, get both as they compliment each other well. Munson et. al. has a better treatment of similitude, Anderson reads better.

Don't think it's the best around, but the one by Cengel and Cimbala is also quite good

i used both this one, and the one by Munson/Young

I am a mechanical engineering student.
What to tell you of the professor!, he will just tell the book which will just cover the syllabus. My college is not too prestigious and that good, also the professors too look amateurs.
BTW some of the books listed along with syllabus are:
2. Mechanics of Fluids by Massey BS; Van Nostrand Reinhold Co.
3. Fluid Mechanics by Douglas JF, Gasiorek JM, Swaffield JP; Poitman
4. Fluid Mechanics by Streetes VL and Wylie EB; Mcgraw Hill Book Co.
Are these good?
These are not recommended by my professor but the university.

Please tell me a book which explains why and how of each concept. It may be highly theorotical rather than being totally based on mathematics. There are a lot of books to solve numerical problems but i want one which explains practical concept . I mean a physical approach.

R Power said:
Please tell me a book which explains why and how of each concept. It may be highly theorotical rather than being totally based on mathematics. There are a lot of books to solve numerical problems but i want one which explains practical concept . I mean a physical approach.

Both books recommended by Cyrus explain the "practical concepts" very well. If you are still worried, you can preview the books on Amazon.com and see if they will work for you.

what about the books i listed?

what about cengel and cimbala

R Power said:
what about the books i listed?

I have not read them, so I can't tell. I really love the Munson, Young, & Okishi, 5th ed textbook however as that was the book I used in my undergrad course. My professor was horrible, but I ended up doing well in the course thanks to this book.

I also like all the textbooks by John D. Anderson as he explains the subject matter very well and in a very simple way. His books are usually very good for an introduction to a course as he assumes you have no previous knowledge and thus starts from very basic concepts that other textbooks seem to skip over.

The Cimbala and Cengel is okay, but not as great as the others. I don't find it as easy as a read as the other books. I guess its just a matter of preference though.

Last edited:
The book cyrus listed was 'fundamentals of "Aerodynamics"' Will it help me in course of fluid mechanics??

R Power said:
The book cyrus listed was 'fundamentals of "Aerodynamics"' Will it help me in course of fluid mechanics??

The equations in the two books are one-in-the-same. The only difference are the examples and homework problems which differ in their applications (pipe flow vs aircraft). As a mechanical course, I would get the Munson book first, as the examples will be more relevant.

what about cengel and cimbala ??
I have purchased this book a few days ago!
It's not in budget for me to buy another like Munson.
But if it is too good than the former one i will think of purchasing it.

R Power said:
what about cengel and cimbala ??
I have purchased this book a few days ago!
It's not in budget for me to buy another like Munson.
But if it is too good than the former one i will think of purchasing it.

The Munson book is very good. You really should get it if you can. If you are worried about the price, you can purchase a used version or an older edition of the book.

My fluid dynamics course used "Fundamental Mechanics of Fluids" by Iain Currie. If you want a good fundamental understanding of fluid dynamics, this is the book to have. In the first chapter alone, he introduces the Reynolds Transport Theorem and derives the Navier-Stokes Equations for a Newtonian fluid. You have to wade through hundreds of pages to cover the same amount of material in Anderson.

R Power said:
Hi

Thanx

Fluid Mechanics by Victor Streeter is one of the all time best (and referred to the most by other authors).

If you want the practical applications of Fluid Mechanics then you'll also want:

Applied Fluid Mechanics by Robert Mott.

CS

Mechanics of Fluids by Massey is the one I used in my first yeat and it was perfect

alexisonsmith said:
Mechanics of Fluids by Massey is the one I used in my first yeat and it was perfect

It's a very old school style textbook though, very very wordy. It's the one I use as a reference when I get stuck. You may prefer a more modern (dare I say american) style textbook, they tend to have more comprehensive explinations but don't tend to be as complete.

To be honest i'd just wait to see what the lecturer reccomends.

I have bought Okkishi, young and munson.

Thanx everyone!

Thread is closed.:smile:

1. What is the best book for beginners in fluid mechanics?

The best book for beginners in fluid mechanics is "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, and Theodore H. Okiishi. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and is written in an easy-to-understand language.

2. Which book covers advanced topics in fluid mechanics?

"Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Robert W. Fox, Alan T. McDonald, and Philip J. Pritchard is a popular choice for covering advanced topics in fluid mechanics. It delves into more complex concepts and includes practical applications and examples.

3. Are there any books specifically for engineers or scientists?

"Engineering Fluid Mechanics" by Clayton T. Crowe, Donald F. Elger, John A. Roberson, and Barbara C. Williams is a widely used textbook that is specifically tailored for engineering and science students. It covers the fundamentals of fluid mechanics with a focus on practical applications.

4. Is there a book that includes both theory and practical applications?

"Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications" by Yunus A. Çengel and John M. Cimbala is a highly recommended book that strikes a balance between theory and practical applications. It includes real-world examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts they have learned.

5. Can you recommend a book with interactive learning tools?

"Interactive Fluid Mechanics" by K. Ramesh and J. Srinivas is an innovative textbook that includes interactive learning tools such as simulations, animations, and videos. These tools help readers visualize and understand complex fluid mechanics concepts more easily.