Summations: Where did this come from

• Thread starter karenmarie3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the summation identity 1/(n^2-m^2) = 1/2n[1/(m+n)-1/(m-n)] and its use in finding the second order correction to the energy of a harmonic oscillator. The speaker also asks if there is a table of summation identities available online.
karenmarie3
Hey can anyone explain to me how the summation 1/(n^2-m^2) = 1/2n[1/(m+n)-1/(m-n)]?

I am trying to find the second order correction to the energy of a harmonic oscillator (nondegenerate perturbations), and understand everything but where that came from. Is there a table of summation identities online somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{2n}\left(\frac{1}{m+n}-\frac{1}{m-n}\right)=\frac{1}{2n}\left(\frac{m-n}{(m+n)(m-n)}-\frac{m+n}{(m+n)(m-n)}\right)[/tex]

Thank you very much! I figured it was something that wasn't a big deal, but sometimes when I'm working on the tougher stuff my brain doesn't want to switch to a lower gear!

1. What is a summation and why is it important in mathematics?

A summation is a mathematical concept that involves adding a sequence of numbers together. It is important because it allows us to find the total value of a series of numbers quickly and efficiently.

2. Where did the concept of summation originate?

The concept of summation can be traced back to ancient civilizations such as the Babylonians and Egyptians. It was further developed by Greek mathematicians such as Archimedes and Euclid.

3. How is a summation written and calculated?

A summation is written using the summation notation, which consists of the Greek letter sigma (Σ) followed by the expression to be summed and the range of values to be used. It is calculated by adding each term in the series together.

4. What are some real-world applications of summations?

Summations have many practical applications, including calculating the total distance traveled by a moving object, finding the total cost of multiple items, and determining the average temperature over a period of time.

5. Can summations be used for infinite series?

Yes, summations can be used for both finite and infinite series. However, the calculation and convergence of infinite series can be more complex and require advanced mathematical concepts.