Potential of a conducting sphere with charge inside

In summary, the electric potential of a hollow neutral conducting sphere with a charge q placed inside it is constant and equal to q/R, regardless of where the charge is placed inside the sphere. This is because the potential on the surface of the sphere is constant, and the potential outside the sphere is zero. This can be understood through the charge distribution and the use of a Gaussian surface. A more detailed explanation can be found in Griffiths Intro to Electrodynamics.
yarospo
This is a general question:

What is the electric potential of a hollow neutral conducting sphere with radius R with a charge q placed inside it?
Intuitively I understand that it is the same - q/R, no matter where the charge is placed inside the sphere. Can anyone explain why it is so?

My thoughts: The potential on the surface of a conducting sphere is constant, and it seems implausible that I will be able to change the potential of the sphere just by moving the charge inside, and therefore, I may as well place it in the middle and then the potential is obviously q/R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What would you expect the charge distribution to "look like" when you are very far from the sphere? What is the total charge enclosed by a spherical, concentric Gaussian surface of radius r>>R? So, if the potential at r=infinity is zero, what must the potential be at any point outside the sphere?

Thanks,

I've found a comprehensive and detailed explanation in Griffiths Intro to Electrodynamics. Should have known it'll be there - got to love that book!
:)

1. What is the potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside?

The potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside is the amount of work needed to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to a point inside the sphere, divided by the unit charge. It is also known as the electric potential.

2. How is the potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside calculated?

The potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Does the potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside depend on the location of the charge?

No, the potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside is independent of the location of the charge inside the sphere. It only depends on the charge and the radius of the sphere.

4. What happens to the potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside if the charge is doubled?

If the charge inside the sphere is doubled, the potential of the sphere will also double. This is because the potential is directly proportional to the charge inside the sphere.

5. How does the potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside change with the increase in radius?

The potential of a conducting sphere with a charge inside decreases as the radius of the sphere increases. This is because the potential is inversely proportional to the radius. A larger radius means the charge is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower potential.