Ways to differentiate homework/textbook questions from regular questions

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
In summary, there are two suggested ways to differentiate between homework- and textbook-style questions: 1) having users include a phrase indicating it is not for homework or a textbook in the thread title, and 2) requiring users to check a mark stating the thread is not for homework or a textbook before it is posted. It is also recommended for users to state their motive for asking the question in order to receive a more appropriate answer. This has been successfully implemented in previous threads on the forum.
moonman239
As stated, here are a couple ways to differentiate homework- and textbook-style questions:

1) Have users put a phrase like (not for homework/textbook) in the thread title.

2) Place a checkmark before the Submit Thread button thart says,"This thread is not a homework or textbook-related question.". Require that users check this mark before their thread is posted.

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinion, not an official forum policy:

Just saying your question is not a homework or other textbook-style exercise may not be enough. I recommend saying why you are asking the question. Letting others in on your motive can help people give a more appropriate answer -- i.e. at the proper level, giving/withholding the right amount of help, or pointing you to a suitable reference.

Note that the HW forum is for homework and textbook-like questions. Generally, even if it is not meant for a homework assignment, if someone is asking those types of questions, they will get the same benefit of it being treated like a HW question as those who are actually doing it for HW.

Letting others in on your motive can help people give a more appropriate answer -- i.e. at the proper level, giving/withholding the right amount of help, or pointing you to a suitable reference.

Could I suggest this as a nearly perfect model for both questioner information and answer?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=411865

Look how short and sweet it is.

1. How can I differentiate homework and textbook questions from regular questions?

One way to differentiate homework and textbook questions from regular questions is to assign them specific numbers or labels. Homework and textbook questions can have a prefix or suffix that indicates they are part of a specific assignment or chapter, while regular questions can have a different numbering system.

2. Do I need to use different question types for homework and textbook questions compared to regular questions?

No, the question types can remain the same for all types of questions. The differentiation can be done through numbering or labeling as mentioned earlier.

3. How can I make sure students know which questions are for homework and which are for regular practice?

One way to do this is to clearly communicate the expectations and instructions for each type of question. This can be done verbally or in written form, such as on a homework sheet or in a class syllabus.

4. Is it necessary to differentiate homework and textbook questions from regular questions?

It is not always necessary, but it can be helpful for both the students and the teacher. Differentiation can help students focus on specific concepts or skills, and it can also assist the teacher in tracking student progress and understanding.

5. Can I use the same questions for both homework and regular practice?

Yes, you can use the same questions for both homework and regular practice if the goal is for students to have more practice and reinforcement of the material. However, if the intention is for homework questions to be more challenging or for a graded assignment, it may be beneficial to use different questions for each type of practice.