Can you recommend a good online course ?

In summary: D programming.In summary, the speaker is looking for recommendations for online math classes to improve their skills for 3D programming. They have a background in software development but have not used much math in 20 years. They started with a book on 3D math but found it too advanced and have since worked through books on Algebra and College Algebra. They are now looking for resources on Linear Algebra and Trigonometry. They have been recommended to check out websites such as Khan Academy and MIT's OpenCourseWare for online math courses. They express appreciation for the suggestions and plan to revisit the websites in the future.
jkristia
I came across this site while doing some algebra searching and I hope this is the right place to post my question, but if not then please move or delete my post.

Q: I would like to take some online math classes and would like to hear if you have any recommendations.

My background is this; It has been 20 years since my last math class (back when I was doing my EE degree), and since then I have been working as software developer but unfortunately haven’t really used much math in all that time (other than some very basics).

Recently I have gotten interested in learning the 3D world of programming, so to get started I purchased a book called ‘3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development”, and although it should explain the very basic math requried for 3D programming, it is to advanced for me, and it quickly made me realize how much I had forgotten.
So, I decided to get back to basics and purchased “Algebra Demystified” worked my way through the book in a couple of month (I can only get a little bit of time in the evenings), and I then continued on to ‘College Algebra Demystified” and I am about 1/3 through that book.
Once I’m done I would like to continue with Linear Algebra and Trigonometry (seems to be mainly what is used for 3D programming), so I’m looking either for some good books for self study or some online classes. The problem is that I can only spend about ½-1 hour a day in the evening, so taking a class at the local college is not really an option for me at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out http://www.khanacademy.org/" . It has everything from basic arithmetic through calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.

For more advanced topics, take a look at http://www.infocobuild.com/education/audio-video-courses/mathematics/mathematics.html" of online college-level math courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
try http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm you might find it useful,, it's open course ware not an online college

Thank you for the reply. I quickly checked out both Khan and OCW, and OCW seems to advanced for me at the moment, but it is saved in Favorites for later.

Thanks

I recommend this

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing an online course?

Some key factors to consider when choosing an online course include the reputation and accreditation of the institution offering the course, the course content and structure, the qualifications of the instructors, and the availability of support and resources for students.

2. How can I ensure that the online course I choose is of high quality?

One way to ensure that an online course is of high quality is to read reviews and ratings from past students. You can also look for courses offered by reputable institutions or organizations and check if they have any industry recognition or awards.

3. What are the advantages of taking an online course over a traditional classroom course?

Some advantages of taking an online course include flexibility in scheduling, the ability to learn at your own pace, the availability of a wide range of course options, and the opportunity to learn from instructors and classmates from all around the world.

4. How can I make the most out of my online course experience?

To make the most out of your online course experience, it is important to establish a regular study schedule, actively participate in discussions and assignments, and utilize all available resources and support from the course instructors and institution. It is also helpful to stay organized and motivated throughout the course.

5. Are there any specific technical requirements for taking an online course?

The technical requirements for online courses may vary depending on the platform or institution. Generally, you will need a stable internet connection, a computer or device, and software or applications for accessing course materials and participating in discussions. It is recommended to check the technical requirements beforehand to ensure a smooth learning experience.