Electric Field between two large oppositely charged metal plates

In summary: So, the E-field you get using this method is actually twice the E-field between the plates.In summary, the first method correctly calculates the electric field between the two plates using Gauss's Law, while the second method gives an incorrect result due to not taking into account the presence of both plates in the calculation. The superposition principle can only be applied to find the E-field due to one plate, not both.
AlexChandler

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the electric field between these two plates... and I am using two different methods to do so. One gives me the correct solution, and the other does not. I am curious as to why the second method is wrong.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law Phi = Q/e0
E field near conductor = Charge density/ E0
Superposition of electric fields E=E1+E2

The Attempt at a Solution

The first method: Using gauss' law I am able to come up with the correct solution (I used a rectangular gaussian surface containing an area A2 of plate 1 reaching out halfway between the plates. The only face with flux through it is the one parallel to both plates located halfway between them.. The solution comes out as the charge density of the plates devided by the electric constant.
The second method: Using the superposition principle along with the equation for the electric field near a conductor I get twice the answer that I had calculated using Gauss' Law. I have attached a picture of my work in hope that it will help to illustrate my problem. Thanks and hope to hear back soon,
Alex

Attachments

• Gauss.jpg
    Gauss.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,293
Physics news on Phys.org
The E-field at the surface of the conductor [tex]E=\sigma / \epsilon[/tex] is already taken into account the presence of both plates. That means, what you get is E-field due to both plates on the surface on each plate, which is actually E-field between the plates.
However, in order to apply the superposition principle, you have to find the E-field due to ONE "plate", i.e. one layer of charges on one plate, assuming that the other layer is not there.

1. What is an electric field between two large oppositely charged metal plates?

An electric field is an area around a charged object where it can exert a force on other charged objects. In the case of two large oppositely charged metal plates, the electric field is the region between the two plates where the positive and negative charges interact and create a force.

2. How is the strength of the electric field between two large oppositely charged metal plates determined?

The strength of the electric field between two large oppositely charged metal plates is determined by the distance between the plates and the magnitude of the charges on the plates. The closer the plates are and the larger the charges, the stronger the electric field will be.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between two large oppositely charged metal plates?

The direction of the electric field between two large oppositely charged metal plates is from the positive plate to the negative plate. This means that a positive test charge would be pushed away from the positive plate and pulled towards the negative plate by the electric field.

4. How does the presence of dielectric material between the two metal plates affect the electric field?

The presence of a dielectric material between the two metal plates can decrease the strength of the electric field. Dielectric materials have a polarizing effect, meaning they can align the charges in the material in a way that weakens the overall electric field between the two plates.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field between two large oppositely charged metal plates?

The electric field between two large oppositely charged metal plates has many practical applications. One example is in capacitors, which use the electric field between two parallel plates to store energy. The electric field between two charged plates is also used in particle accelerators to accelerate charged particles to high speeds.