Question about depletion layer

• Thread starter majormajor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    depletion
In summary, the depletion layer in a semiconductor diode is created when p and n type materials form a junction. This results in diffusion of electrons and holes, leaving behind a positive charge layer in the n-type material and a negative charge layer in the p-type material. The electrons and holes that have left the n-type material form another mobile space charge layer on the p-type side. In reverse charged pn junctions or the base-collector junction of a BJT, the difference in chemical potentials on the two sides causes diffusion and an electrostatic field to impede further diffusion. This results in an electric field being established inside the depletion layer. The reason why the electrons and holes must reside around the junction is because semiconductors are conduct
majormajor
I am trying to understand some aspects of the depletion layer in a semiconductor diode and I have come across some questions that none of the textbooks I have seem to explain. Perhaps some of you could help? (I must add I am not a physisist but an electronics engineer, although I have been taught the usual basic semiconductor theory at uni.)

(1) I understand that when a p and n type materials form a junction, electrons diffuse from the n type material to the p type and holes diffuse from the p type to the n type. This is kind of intuitive enough and I understand how this leaves a positive charge layer in the n-type material that is bound to the crystal lattice and vice versa, a negative charge layer in the p type material due to the holes that have diffused into the n-type material. But what the textbooks don't seem to explain is this: let's just look at the n-type material. OK, so electrons have diffused across the junction, leaving positively charged ions behind. But what happens to the electrons that have left the n-type material? Are they just sitting somewhere in the p-type material (let's assume there is no external electrical field on the junction)? Where are they? Clearly they must form another (mobile) space charge layer somewhere on the p-type side?

(2) What is even more baffling for me is how minority carries can pass through the depletion layer (like in a reverse charged pn junction or the base-collector junction of a BJT). The depletion layer means that near the juction on the n-type side there is a positively charged layer due to the fact that the electrons have left. Surely if somewhere in the n-type layer holes are generated somehow, they will be repelled by the positive space-charge layer and will not be able to cross the junction? I feel this is really a point where I don't understand something, so please could somebody explain (just qualitatively) what is going on here?

Thanks,
MajorMajor

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably you did not consider the difference between the chemical potentials on the p- and n-side semiconductors. Suppose you put two intrinsic (I consider intrinsic case for simplicity) semiconductors in contact. These two semiconductors have different chemical potentials, and thus carriers shall diffuse (as described in your post). Because of this diffusion, some electrons shall accumulate around the junction on the p-side, while some holes shall reside around the junction on the n-side. These electrons and holes shall form an electrostatic field that acts to impede further diffusion. So, basically there are two types of currents involved: the diffusion current due to chemical potential difference and the one due to this electric field. These two currents go in opposite directions. The system will reach equilibrium as these currents equal. Ultimately, an electric field is established inside the depletion layer. The reason why the electrons and holes must reside around the junction is because, semiconductors are conductive.

1. What is a depletion layer?

A depletion layer is a region within a semiconductor material where the concentration of charge carriers is significantly lower than in the surrounding areas due to the presence of impurities or a difference in doping levels.

2. How is a depletion layer formed?

A depletion layer is formed when a p-n junction is created in a semiconductor material. This junction is created by combining a region of positively doped material (p-type) and a region of negatively doped material (n-type).

3. What is the role of a depletion layer in a semiconductor device?

The depletion layer plays a crucial role in controlling the flow of current in a semiconductor device. It acts as a barrier to the flow of charge carriers, and its width can be controlled by applying a voltage across the p-n junction.

4. How does the width of a depletion layer affect the performance of a semiconductor device?

The width of the depletion layer determines the amount of current that can flow through a semiconductor device. A wider depletion layer means a higher resistance and therefore a lower current, while a narrower depletion layer means a lower resistance and a higher current.

5. What factors can affect the size of a depletion layer?

The size of a depletion layer can be affected by the doping levels, the type of semiconductor material, the applied voltage, and the temperature. Higher doping levels, a higher applied voltage, and a lower temperature can result in a wider depletion layer, while lower doping levels, a lower applied voltage, and a higher temperature can result in a narrower depletion layer.