Finding the final temperature of a final solution. putting ice in soda/water

In summary, the temperature of the soda once all the ice melts and the solution reaches a uniform temperature is 3420 calories.
apbuiii

Homework Statement

Suppose you have a 24 ounce mug of soda (treat as water) at room temperature, which is 22 C. Warm soda tastes bad, so you add 125 g of ice at -25 C to the soda. What is the temperature (in C) of the soda once all the ice melts and the solution reaches a uniform temperature? The heat of fusion is 6.01 kJ/mol and the heat of vaporization is 40.7 kJ/mol. The specific heat capacity of ice and water are 2.09 and 4.18 J/g-K, respectively. Assume no heat is transferred to the soda from the surroundings.

Homework Equations

q= (mass)(Specific heat)(change in temp); q=(moles)(delta-enthalpy)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did q(soda lost)= q(ice gained). I found the q of the ice by (125g)(0--25)(2.09) + (125g)(1mol/18g)(6.01 KJ/mol)(1000J/KJ)= 48087.35 J. So now I set it equal to the q(soda). I had 24 oz of soda which is 681 grams: 48087.35= (681g)(4.18)(TempFinal-22). But then I get 39 C which is wrong I'd assume! Please help me by showing all the steps. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In general you are on the right track. Pay attention to signs, my bet is that that's where you got lost.

You should convert all units to calories and grams here;
specific heat of water = 1 cal/gram deg C
specific heat ice = .5 cal/gram deg C
latent heat of fusion ice = 80 cal/gram
Now take the 681 grams of soda from 22 deg C to 0 deg C and obtain 14982
calories
The 125 grams of ice will absorb 1562 calories going from -25 C to
0 C and will absorb 10000 cal melting
So now you have 806 grams of water at 0 deg C and 3420 calories.
Therefore 3420 calories = (Temp) ( 806 grams)

Last edited:
morrobay said:
You should convert all units to calories and grams here

There is no need for that. cal is a nice unit when working with water, but it loses its simplicity when you have a system in which water changes state of matter.

Yeah, thanks guys. I ended up figuring it out :)

1. How does putting ice in soda/water affect the final temperature of the solution?

Putting ice in soda/water will lower the temperature of the solution because the ice absorbs heat energy from the surrounding liquid as it melts. This process is known as endothermic melting.

2. What is the relationship between the amount of ice and the final temperature of the solution?

The amount of ice added to the solution will determine the final temperature. The more ice added, the lower the final temperature will be.

3. Can the final temperature of the solution be colder than the temperature of the ice added?

No, the final temperature of the solution cannot be colder than the temperature of the ice added. This is because the ice will eventually reach the same temperature as the surrounding liquid and stop melting.

4. How long does it take for the ice to melt and reach the final temperature of the solution?

The time it takes for the ice to melt and reach the final temperature of the solution will depend on several factors such as the amount of ice, the initial temperature of the liquid, and the surrounding temperature. However, in general, it can take a few minutes for the ice to melt and reach equilibrium with the liquid.

5. Can the final temperature of the solution be higher than the initial temperature of the liquid?

No, the final temperature of the solution cannot be higher than the initial temperature of the liquid. This is because the ice will not add heat energy to the liquid, but instead, it will absorb heat energy, causing the temperature to decrease.