Living in a Closed-Loop Universe?

• Thread starter Aki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: This statement would be impossible to "prove". Let's bring this back to a discussion of the nature of time.
Aki
Do you think we could living in a universe where time is like a rubber band; it has no beginning and no end, as it continues forever in a closed loop. So basically after a loop, then time returns to zero. But is it possible that we are living in a closed loop?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is possible, and it is philosophically appealing, but, science prefers observation and math before drawing conclusions. Even God prefers logic over chaos.

Chronos said:
It is possible, and it is philosophically appealing, but, science prefers observation and math before drawing conclusions. Even God prefers logic over chaos.

I agree 100%. However, Gods logic may well be much different from ours.

mijoon said:
I agree 100%. However, Gods logic may well be much different from ours.
That statement would be impossible to "prove".

Let's bring this back to a discussion of the nature of time.
& I'll move this to the general A&C forum.
thanks

So even if we are in a closed loop, we would never be able to realize that, right?

Aki said:
Do you think we could living in a universe where time is like a rubber band; it has no beginning and no end, as it continues forever in a closed loop. So basically after a loop, then time returns to zero. But is it possible that we are living in a closed loop?
As unbelievable as it might sound, this is actually a well known solution to the GR equations. If you do a Google search on "Godel's universe", you should find some references to get started on this most interesting topic.

Last edited:
I don't think so. If it is possible then the we should not have nuclear disintegration or if we do then the lost elements must be regenrated in there.
But it might be possible in future, if sometime universe reversed its expansion then we might notice that it could be possible.

Would it be possible to escape from a closed loop?

Well [strapping on my crash helmet] perhaps once this universe thins out enough, quantum fluctuations will cause another big bang.

chronos, what do you mean by the universe "thins out enough"?

Aki said:
chronos, what do you mean by the universe "thins out enough"?
Perhaps when the energy density [entropy] of the observable universe drops to a certain threshold, another big bang will occur. That notion is inspired by quantum mechanics, which insists upon a state of flux. A universe with too much gravity will immediately collapse. A universe with a gravitational force too weak will fly apart before structures have a chance to form. My thinking is this universe is a perfect balance between the two states. I perceive the universe must be perfectly balanced to endure as long as it has. It is also appears it took many cycles to find one that lasted this long.

1. What is a closed-loop universe?

A closed-loop universe is a theoretical concept in which the universe exists in a continuous cycle of expansion and contraction, with no beginning or end.

2. How does a closed-loop universe differ from the commonly accepted theory of the Big Bang?

In a closed-loop universe, there is no singular event that marks the beginning of the universe, unlike the Big Bang theory which posits that the universe started with a massive explosion. Additionally, a closed-loop universe does not have a finite lifespan, whereas the Big Bang theory suggests that the universe will eventually reach a point of maximum expansion and begin to contract.

3. What evidence supports the idea of a closed-loop universe?

There is currently no concrete evidence for a closed-loop universe, as it is still a theoretical concept. However, some scientists point to the observed expansion and contraction of the universe, as well as the possibility of a multiverse, as potential indications of a closed-loop universe.

4. How does the concept of a closed-loop universe impact our understanding of time?

In a closed-loop universe, time is seen as cyclical rather than linear. This means that the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously and continuously repeat in an endless loop. It challenges our traditional understanding of time as a linear progression.

5. Are there any potential implications or consequences of living in a closed-loop universe?

The idea of a closed-loop universe has sparked philosophical discussions about the nature of existence and our place in the universe. It also has implications for our understanding of the beginning and end of the universe, as well as the concept of free will within a cyclical timeline. However, without concrete evidence, these implications are purely speculative.