Virial Theorem and Equipartition Theorem

In summary: For ideal gas, there are only contact forces during the collisions, so they cancel out. However, for molecules in a real system, there are internal and external forces. Could you please elaborate?Best,derivatorThe contact forces are the forces between molecules that happen when they collide. They don't generally cancel out, but in an ideal gas they do.
Derivator
Hi folks,

in this book (correct page should open, if not: p.199): http://books.google.com/books?id=12...r thermodynamics&pg=PA199#v=onepage&q&f=false

it says (formula (7.168)):

[tex]<\sum_i \vec{r}_i \vec{F}_i > = -p \oint{\vec{r} d\vec{S}}[/tex]

It is explained, why dF=-p dS, but I don't see the connection between the mean value of the sum on the left hand side and the ring integral on the right hand side.

derivator

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is that in the sum on the left-hand side, you take all the forces, internal and external(due to the wall). It turns out that the internal forces cancel out and you are left with the forces due to that wall. Now averaging can be performed on the surface of the wall, which allow you to reformulate the sum as an integral of the surface forces -pdS.

Jano L. said:
Now averaging can be performed on the surface of the wall, which allow you to reformulate the sum as an integral of the surface forces -pdS.

Hi,

could you please explain a litle bit more detailed, how this averaging is done? That is, why is the given integral an approximation to the left ahnd side average of the sum?

best,
derivator

Because the pressure p is an approximate expression for the molecular forces the wall exerts on molecules. I think writing the averaging procedure formally is not so easy, but it is obvious that the result is the integral given above. Try to write it and let us know!

Hi Derivator,
I've just came across the virial theorem and realized that what I wrote earlier is not correct. In fact, the internal forces do not cancel out generally. For the ideal gas, however, there are only contact forces during the collisions, so they cancel out. The only contribution to the sum is due to external forces. Here is the derivation:
The sum has nonzero contributions only from the molecules being repulsed by the wall in the instant considered (only these molecules feel external force of the wall). We choose some small patch of area dS and calculate the contribution by the molecules near this patch. The average force on the surface dS is

-pd\mathbf S,

so the contribution is

\sum_i \mathbf r_i \mathbf F_i (i near \Delta S) \approx - \mathbf r p \Delta S

here \mathbf r is the radius vector of the patch. Finally we sum the contributions from all possible patches sovering the surface enclosing the gas:

\sum_i \mathbf r_i \mathbf F_i (whole surface) \approx -\oint p d\mathbf S

Sorry for text formulae, but tex wouldn't work properly.

Jano

1. What is the Virial Theorem?

The Virial Theorem is a mathematical relationship that relates the average kinetic energy of a system to the average potential energy of the system. It is commonly used in physics and chemistry to understand the behavior of gases and other systems.

2. How is the Virial Theorem derived?

The Virial Theorem is derived from the laws of classical mechanics, specifically the work-energy theorem and the virial theorem for non-conservative forces. It can also be derived from the equations of motion for a system of particles.

3. What is the significance of the Virial Theorem?

The Virial Theorem is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between the macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature and pressure, and the microscopic motions of its particles. It is also used in the study of astrophysics and cosmology to understand the behavior of large-scale systems, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

4. What is the Equipartition Theorem?

The Equipartition Theorem is a principle in statistical mechanics that states that, in thermal equilibrium, the total energy of a system is equally distributed among all its degrees of freedom. This means that each degree of freedom has an average energy of kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature.

5. How is the Equipartition Theorem used in thermodynamics?

The Equipartition Theorem is used in thermodynamics to calculate the average kinetic energy and heat capacity of a system. It also helps us understand the behavior of ideal gases and the relationship between temperature and energy. In addition, it is used in the study of phase transitions and the behavior of complex systems.