Why can't a photon transfer all of its energy to an electron?

In summary, the conversation discusses how a photon cannot transfer all of its energy to an electron. The attempt at a solution involves using the conservation laws for energy and momentum, with the help of the relativistic dispersion formula, to show that this is a contradiction. The missing link was the equation E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2.
darrenhb

Homework Statement

Pretty straight forward, I just have to show why a photon can't transfer all of its energy to an electron. I understand this in theory but I'm stuck at how to show it.

Homework Equations

1) Ep + mec2 = Ep' + Ee

Where Ep is the energy of the photon, Ep' is the energy of the scattered photon, and the rest is obvious.

2) E = hf

3) p = p'cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + pecos([tex]\phi[/tex])

4) p'sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = pesin([tex]\phi[/tex])

p is the initial momentum of the photon, p' is the final momentum of the photon, pe is the momentum of the electron after scattering. [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle of the scattered photon and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angle of the scattered electron.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure I have to use conservation of momentum and energy to show that it's a contradiction. I was going to assume [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] were 0, but I'm not sure if I can do that. I've hit a roadblock, I'm not sure how to go about this. A hint in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the relativistic dispersion formula:
[tex]
E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2
[/tex]
you can prove that the conservation laws for energy and momentum can not be satisfied simultaneously if Ep'=0.

Thanks! That equation was the missing link I think, I figured it out. :)

1. Why can't a photon transfer all of its energy to an electron?

Photons, as particles of light, have a specific energy level. When a photon interacts with an electron, it transfers its energy to the electron. However, the amount of energy that can be transferred is limited by the energy level of the electron. If the energy of the photon is higher than the energy level of the electron, only a portion of the energy will be transferred, and the rest will be lost.

2. What determines the energy level of an electron?

The energy level of an electron is determined by its position within an atom or molecule. Electrons can only exist in certain discrete energy levels, and they can only absorb or emit photons that match these energy levels. This is known as the quantization of energy.

3. Can a photon ever transfer all of its energy to an electron?

Yes, it is possible for a photon to transfer all of its energy to an electron. This can happen when the energy level of the electron matches the energy of the photon. In this case, the electron will be excited to a higher energy level and the photon will be completely absorbed.

4. What happens to the extra energy if a photon cannot transfer all of its energy to an electron?

If a photon cannot transfer all of its energy to an electron, the remaining energy is lost in the form of heat or other forms of radiation. This is because energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that a photon cannot transfer all of its energy to an electron?

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. In certain situations, such as in a material called a semiconductor, electrons can absorb photons with energy levels higher than their own. This is known as the photoelectric effect and is the basis for technologies like solar panels.