Experiment: measure He-lamp spectrum

In summary, the experiment measured multiple peaks in light intensity, while the theoretical model predicted only one peak. Possible sources of these additional peaks could be inaccurate measurements, background radiation, or variables in the experimental setup. Further investigation into each component of the experiment and comparison with the theoretical model may help determine the cause of the peaks.
Trinitiet

Homework Statement

Today I did an experiment to met the light intensity, a function of the wavelength of light. I gained a theoretical model *how it should look*, which had 1 light intensity peak at lambda=1083nm.

On the other hand, I measured several peaks, 1 at ~600nm and another at ~750 and 825nm.

What could've been the source of these peaks?

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thought I had was the measurements weren't accurate, but I did the experiment over and over again and kept getting the peak.

Second thought: it's backgroundradiation. So I removed the Helium lamp and turned off the lights of the room and did the experiment again. No peaks were measured thus they can't be caused by background sources.Anyone got a thought what could cause these peaks? The line up of the experiment:

Helium lamp (with a steellike frame around it, though this can't cause the peak as it was still there when we did the background no measured peaks experimtn), then a collimator, then a lens, a glass prism, another lens and then a light sensor.

Is any additional information needed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The source of the peaks could be caused by any variable in the experiment. It could be from the helium lamp, the collimator, the lenses, the glass prism, or the light sensor. To determine the source of the peaks, it would be necessary to take a closer look at each component of the experiment and make sure that they are all functioning properly. Additionally, it may be useful to compare the results of the experiment with the theoretical model to see if any variables are different in the experiment than what is expected.

1. What is the purpose of measuring the He-lamp spectrum in this experiment?

The purpose of measuring the He-lamp spectrum is to study the emission spectrum of the element helium. This can provide valuable information about the energy levels and transitions of the atom, and can also be used to identify unknown substances.

2. How is the He-lamp spectrum measured in this experiment?

The He-lamp spectrum is measured using a spectrometer. This instrument separates the different wavelengths of light emitted by the He-lamp and records their intensities. The resulting spectrum can then be analyzed and interpreted.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the He-lamp spectrum measurement?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the He-lamp spectrum measurement, including the quality of the spectrometer, the stability of the lamp's power supply, and any external interference from sources of light or electromagnetic radiation.

4. How is the He-lamp spectrum used in scientific research?

The He-lamp spectrum is used in a variety of scientific research fields, such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics. It can provide insights into the composition of stars, the behavior of atoms, and the properties of materials. It is also used in practical applications, such as in medical imaging and spectroscopy.

5. Can the He-lamp spectrum be used for quantitative measurements?

Yes, the He-lamp spectrum can be used for quantitative measurements. By analyzing the intensities of the different spectral lines, researchers can determine the concentration of helium in a sample or the amount of energy released during a particular transition. However, the accuracy of these measurements may be limited by factors such as instrumental errors and the presence of other elements.