Mechanism of combustion in limited oxygen

In summary, combustion of methane in limited supply of oxygen forms carbon monoxide as a major product.
mishrashubham
I have read this in many places that carbon or any fuel for that matter example methane when undergoes combustion in limited supply of oxygen forms carbon monoxide as a major product.

Could anyone explain me why this happens? I mean why can't the carbon atoms simply react with the required no. Of oxygen atoms and form CO2 as usual?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
mishrashubham said:
I have read this in many places that carbon or any fuel for that matter example methane when undergoes combustion in limited supply of oxygen forms carbon monoxide as a major product.

Could anyone explain me why this happens? I mean why can't the carbon atoms simply react with the required no. Of oxygen atoms and form CO2 as usual?

Thanks

The complete answer to this is very complicated ... combustion mechanisms are quite complicated, involving varoius highly-reactive free radical intermediates ... in some cases complete mechanisms are not even known yet. However, there are some simple principles you can apply to help you understand why CO is formed instead of CO2.

First, just consider the atomic balance ... if you don't have at least twice as many oxygen atoms as carbon atoms, then it is impossible to convert all of the carbon into CO2. So limiting the amount of oxygen at the very least limits the amount of CO2 that could be theoretically formed. Furthermore, remember that you are also forming water from the H atoms released by the carbon, so that also uses up some of the limited amount of oxygen.

The reason the CO is the major product is because, although the formation of CO is less exothermic than that of CO2, it is still more exothermic overall to convert more of the carbon atoms from methane to CO, than to convert half as many from methane to CO2.

Those answers are really just rationalizations of what we observe however ... the real answer requires knowledge of the precise mechanism by which the different products are formed.

Well I am not sure I followed everything. But it is surprising to know that some of the mechanisms have not even been found yet.

Anyways thanks for the reply.

1. What is the mechanism of combustion in limited oxygen?

In limited oxygen, the mechanism of combustion is known as incomplete combustion. This occurs when there is not enough oxygen present to fully oxidize the fuel, resulting in the production of byproducts such as carbon monoxide and soot.

2. Why does combustion occur in limited oxygen?

Combustion occurs in limited oxygen because oxygen is required for the chemical reaction to take place. Incomplete combustion occurs when there is not enough oxygen present to fully react with the fuel, leading to the production of byproducts.

3. What factors affect the mechanism of combustion in limited oxygen?

The main factors that affect the mechanism of combustion in limited oxygen are the amount of oxygen present, the type of fuel being burned, and the temperature at which the reaction occurs. Higher temperatures and higher fuel-to-oxygen ratios can lead to more complete combustion.

4. What are the environmental impacts of combustion in limited oxygen?

Incomplete combustion in limited oxygen can have negative environmental impacts, as it results in the release of pollutants such as carbon monoxide and particulate matter. These can contribute to air pollution and have potential health effects.

5. How can we control the mechanism of combustion in limited oxygen?

The most effective way to control the mechanism of combustion in limited oxygen is by ensuring that there is enough oxygen present for complete combustion to occur. This can be achieved through proper ventilation and maintaining the correct air-to-fuel ratio in combustion processes.