Need refractive index for Radio wave propagation model

In summary, you are modelling a radio wave propagation simulator for a Wifi at 2.4 Ghz. You know that the refracted index of glass for light is around 1.5, how do you translate this to a 2.4 Ghz radio wave. And what about other materials, such as concrete, brick wall etc.?
anarachy
I am modelling a radio wave propagation simulator for a Wifi at 2.4 Ghz.
I know that the refracted index of glass for light is around 1.5, how do I translate this to a 2.4 Ghz radio wave.
And what about other materials,
such as concrete, brick wall etc.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't heard of a refractive index being applied to radio waves. About the only instance I can think of where it would be relevant would be with regards to the ozone layer. Building materials generally use a penetration loss factor. Generally these are so variable that it is best to measure the penetration loss of a building rather than try to calculate it. In my experience most buildings are assumed to have a penetration loss of 15 dB or less, however many modern buildings exceed that figure, some by more than 10 dB. In many instances, if building penetration loss exceeds 15 dB and there must be coverage inside the building, a bidirectional amplifier is used.

anarachy said:
I am modelling a radio wave propagation simulator for a Wifi at 2.4 Ghz.
I know that the refracted index of glass for light is around 1.5, how do I translate this to a 2.4 Ghz radio wave.
And what about other materials,
such as concrete, brick wall etc.

Thanks.

You aren't, by chance, trying to put the radiating elements inside the glass to try to achieve total internal reflection, are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_internal_reflection

skeptic2 said:
I haven't heard of a refractive index being applied to radio waves. About the only instance I can think of where it would be relevant would be with regards to the ozone layer. \
A few of examples.
1. They make dielectric lenses for directing microwave beams. They are shaped just like optical glass lenses and can be made of expanded polystyrene - just bigger, because you need a bigger aperture because of the longer wavelength.

2. UHF and VHF radio signals can be bent by air layers of different temperatures which can produce fading. A cold layer between two warm layers can produce the effect of ducting because of total internal reflection of waves at the boundary of a high refractive index and a low refractive index.

3. The refractive index of polythene is about 0.6 and this tells you why signals travel much slower in a coax cable then in space.

btw, I think you may have been referring to the ionosphere - not the ozone layer(?). RF propagation is modified (bent and/or reflected) by the layers of ionised gas, which, again, have lower refractive indices due to the electrons being moved about by the EM fields.

I am modeling an indoor based propagation model. I am simulating a light to show radio wave propagation through ray tracing techniques.As light and radio wave operate at different frequencies , I want to translate properties like refraction index for light to radio wave.

Thanks.

Scaling is difficult, in many respects but you could, I'm sure, show a light based model of ionospheric propagation using layers of liquids of different densities - and get total internal reflection. You could try the effect of a layer of glycerine underneath a layer of water. The difference in refractive index would be enough, I think, to show total internal reflection and you could let the boundary diffuse with time to show a curved path on reflection - just like you get at the boundaries of the ionospheric layers. Actual angles could be all wrong, though, but it could look good I think. A laser beam and slightly milky water. Then you could rock the container - or stir it up - and see the resulting spot of red light move about - just like HF transmissions.

Scaling between light and radio is also a matter of (extreme) size to account for the diffraction, interference, resonances, etc. Radio in a room would be like light in a super miniature model. It's all about wavelength and propagation.

It is certainly true that you can only do one aspect at a time and with a different 'fudge factor' on each demo.

How much does refraction effect say a 2.4ghz wifi router in an indoor environment through concrete walls?

Look it up. There are tables of almost all physical properties of all materials if you hunt around enough. But the effects of absorption and scattering by steel mesh etc. Would also be relevant. Hard to quantify this sort of thing in many cases. It's often a matter of using lots of measured data and getting the statistics.

Can you recommend a source for this data, I can't seem to find any focused material on the web.

anarachy said:
Can you recommend a source for this data, I can't seem to find any focused material on the web.
First page of my second search gave me:
http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/Miscdielectrics.cfm"
which contained this link:
http://www.antd.nist.gov/wctg/manet/docs/models.pdf#search=%27dielectric%20constant%20building%20walls%20concrete"

Any use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot.

1. What is meant by refractive index in the context of radio wave propagation?

Refractive index, also known as the index of refraction, is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light. In terms of radio wave propagation, it refers to how much a material affects the speed and direction of radio waves passing through it.

2. How is refractive index determined for a specific material?

Refractive index is determined by the physical properties of a material, such as its density, composition, and temperature. It can also be measured experimentally by passing light or radio waves through the material and observing how they are affected.

3. Why is the refractive index important in radio wave propagation modeling?

The refractive index is an essential factor in radio wave propagation modeling because it influences the direction and speed of radio waves as they travel through different materials. It allows scientists to accurately predict how radio waves will behave in different environments, such as the Earth's atmosphere or through various objects.

4. How does the refractive index affect the propagation of radio waves through the atmosphere?

The refractive index of the Earth's atmosphere varies with altitude, temperature, and humidity. This variation can cause radio waves to bend or refract, which can result in signal distortion or even loss. Understanding the refractive index of the atmosphere is crucial in accurately predicting and modeling radio wave propagation.

5. Can the refractive index of a material be changed?

Yes, the refractive index of a material can be changed by altering its physical properties, such as its temperature or composition. It can also be manipulated by using techniques such as doping or applying an external electric field. These changes can have a significant impact on the behavior of radio waves passing through the material.