Bayes formula and picking variance from distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distribution of a random number when picking numbers from normal distributions with varying variances. The concept of conditional distribution is also mentioned. The speakers agree that the problem needs to be clarified and possibly use a different distribution for picking the variance.
freshmanaskin
This should be rather simple bayesian problem, but I can't figure it out for myself.

If i pick numbers from normal distributionS, where the variance of the distribution at each pick v1, is in turn picked out of a normal distribution with variance v2.

What is then the distribution of the random number? i tried this on my calculator a bit, and it looks as if it is normal itself, but what is the variance of x?

This is not homework, but something I would like to understand how to calculate.

//Cal

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If i pick numbers from normal distributionS, where the variance of the distribution at each pick v1, is in turn picked out of a normal distribution with variance v2.

You need to clarify this.

If you have two continuous random variables (for example), X and Y, with joint pdf [itex]\rho_{X,Y}(x,y)[/itex], this can be written in terms of the conditional distribution [itex]\rho_{X|Y}(x|y)[/itex] or [itex]\rho_{Y|X}(y|x)[/itex] as:

[tex]\rho_{X,Y}(x,y) = \rho_{X|Y}(x|y)\rho_Y(y) = \rho_{Y|X}(y|x)\rho_X(x),[/tex]

where the individual distributions are

[tex]\rho_X(x) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dy~\rho_{X,Y}(x,y),[/tex]
and similarly for y. So, if you knew the distribution for y and you knew the condition distribution for x given y, you can calculate the distribution of x as

[tex]\rho_X(x) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dy~\rho_{X|Y}(x|y)\rho_Y(y).[/tex]

Amusingly enough, I was dealing with this concept myself this week, although in the context of a much more intractable problem.

This said, I think you need to tweak your suggested problem. The variance of a distribution is positive, so it can't be normally distributed. If you use the standard deviation, I don't think you'll get a result, because you'll have a factor of [itex]1/\sigma[/itex] in your integration, why of course blows up at the origin, but the exponential will also be even in sigma, so the principal value might be zero.

Last edited:
Thank you mute, all you said seems very right and true to me. with large enough mu compared to sigma it will become pretty normal. I might have to use some other distribution to pick the variance if i use this for something. But this was more of a though experiment.

culated response//

Bayes formula is a mathematical tool used in Bayesian statistics to update the probability of a hypothesis as new evidence becomes available. In this scenario, we can use Bayes formula to calculate the distribution of the random number picked from a normal distribution with variance v1, which is in turn picked from a normal distribution with variance v2.

The formula for this problem would be P(v1|v2) = P(v2|v1) * P(v1) / P(v2), where P(v1|v2) is the probability of picking a number with variance v1 given that the variance of the distribution it was picked from is v2, P(v2|v1) is the probability of picking a variance v2 given that the number picked has a variance v1, P(v1) is the prior probability of picking a number with variance v1, and P(v2) is the prior probability of picking a variance v2.

By using this formula, we can calculate the probability distribution of the random number picked from the normal distribution. The resulting distribution will also be normal with a mean of 0 and a variance of v1 + v2. This means that the variance of the random number will be the sum of the variances from the two normal distributions.

It is important to note that this is a simplified scenario and in real-world problems, there could be other factors to consider. However, Bayes formula can still be a useful tool in understanding and solving Bayesian problems involving picking numbers from distributions.

1. What is Bayes formula?

Bayes formula, also known as Bayes' theorem or Bayes' rule, is a mathematical formula used to calculate the probability of an event based on prior knowledge or beliefs.

2. How is Bayes formula used in science?

Bayes formula is used in science to update the probability of a hypothesis or event based on new evidence or data. This allows scientists to make more accurate predictions and decisions.

3. What is variance in a distribution?

Variance in a distribution is a measure of how spread out the data points are from the mean. It is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean.

4. How is variance related to Bayes formula?

In Bayes formula, the variance of a distribution is used to calculate the likelihood of a hypothesis or event. A higher variance indicates a wider range of possible outcomes, while a lower variance indicates a more narrow range of outcomes.

5. Can Bayes formula be applied to any type of data?

Yes, Bayes formula can be applied to any type of data as long as the data follows a distribution. It is commonly used in fields such as statistics, machine learning, and data analysis.