Ternary Expansion of x ∈ [0,1] - Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter jakey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation is about ternary expansions and how to find the ternary expansion of a fraction in base 3. It is explained that 5/27 can be represented as the sum of coefficients divided by powers of 3. The conversation also includes an example of finding the ternary expansion of 5/3.
jakey
Hi guys, I'd like to ask about ternary expansions. they seem easy but I'm having a hard time doing this as well as searching for tips online, specifically for [tex]x \in [0,1][/tex].

I know that ternary expansions are similar to decimal expansions but for example, how do you find the ternary expansion of [tex]\frac{5}{3^3}[/tex] ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In base 3, 5= 3+2 is [itex]12_5[/itex]. Of course, [itex]9= 3^2[/itex] is [itex]200_3[/itex] so the fraction 5/9, in base 3, would be the fraction [itex]12/200[/itex]. Can you write that in "trinary"?

Hi hallsofivy, sorry I didnt quite understand your reply.

And oh, it's 5/27 not 5/9. Perhaps a better way of explaining it to me would be how to identify the coefficients [tex]a_k[/tex] such that [tex]\frac{5}{27} = \sum \frac{a_k}{3^k}[/tex] ?

1. What is the ternary expansion of x?

The ternary expansion of x is a representation of the decimal number x as a sum of powers of 3, where each coefficient is either 0, 1, or 2. This is similar to how we represent numbers in base 10, but instead of using powers of 10, we use powers of 3.

2. How do you calculate the ternary expansion of x?

To calculate the ternary expansion of x, we divide x by 3 and take the remainder. This remainder becomes the first coefficient in the ternary expansion. We then repeat this process with the quotient until the quotient becomes 0, adding each remainder as a coefficient to the ternary expansion from right to left.

3. What is the significance of the ternary expansion of x?

The ternary expansion of x has applications in computer science, specifically in representing numbers in ternary (base 3) form for more efficient storage and computation. It is also used in number theory for studying the properties of numbers and their relationships.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for finding the ternary expansion of x?

One tip for finding the ternary expansion of x is to use long division to divide x by 3 and keep track of the remainders. Another trick is to use the concept of binary (base 2) numbers, as ternary numbers can be converted to binary numbers by grouping the ternary digits in pairs and representing them as binary digits (e.g. 00 for 0, 01 for 1, and 10 for 2).

5. Can the ternary expansion of x be used for numbers outside of the range [0,1]?

Yes, the ternary expansion of x can be used for any real number, not just those in the range [0,1]. However, for numbers outside of this range, the ternary expansion will have an infinite number of digits after the decimal point, making it more challenging to calculate and work with.