Principal normal line to helix is normal to z axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the lines containing the unit normal vector and passing through a curve meet the z axis at a constant angle of pi/2. It is shown that the principal normal containing n(s) and a(s) is L(t) = (t-s)*n(s) + a(s), and that the dot product of L(t) and the z axis does not equal 0. It is clarified that L(t) is not perpendicular to the z axis, but rather is the sum of two vectors: one from the origin to a(s) and one perpendicular to the z axis in the direction of n(s). This helps to understand the concept of direction and illustrates the point of the problem.
faradayslaw

Homework Statement

DoCarmo Section 1.5 problem 1 part d. Show that the lines containing n(s) and passing through a(s) [a is the curve, and n(s) is the unit normal vector] meet the z axis under a constant angle of pi/2.
Helix: a(s) = (a cos(s/c_, a sin(s/c), b*s/c), so I computed n(s) = (cos(s/c),sin(s/c),0).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the principal normal containing n(s) and a(s) is : L(t) = (t-s)*n(s) + a(s). THis is because L'(t) = n(s), and L(s) = a(s), but when I try to show d/dt ( L(t) . z/Norm(L(t))) = Cos(theta) =0, I keep getting that it is not zero, due to the z-component of a(s), and the norm of L(t), which I compute to be ((Norm a)^2+(t-s)^2)^0.5, by orthogonality of n(s) and a(s).

Is there something I am donig wrong?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
faradayslaw said:

Homework Statement

DoCarmo Section 1.5 problem 1 part d. Show that the lines containing n(s) and passing through a(s) [a is the curve, and n(s) is the unit normal vector] meet the z axis under a constant angle of pi/2.
Helix: a(s) = (a cos(s/c_, a sin(s/c), b*s/c), so I computed n(s) = (cos(s/c),sin(s/c),0).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the principal normal containing n(s) and a(s) is : L(t) = (t-s)*n(s) + a(s). THis is because L'(t) = n(s), and L(s) = a(s), but when I try to show d/dt ( L(t) . z/Norm(L(t))) = Cos(theta) =0, I keep getting that it is not zero, due to the z-component of a(s), and the norm of L(t), which I compute to be ((Norm a)^2+(t-s)^2)^0.5, by orthogonality of n(s) and a(s).

Is there something I am donig wrong?

Thanks,

Since the z axis is in the direction of ##k=\langle 0,0,1\rangle##, isn't it obvious by the dot product with n(s) that they are perpendicular? That only leaves the question of whether the line L(t) actually hits the z axis. Can you find a t value for which ##L(t) = \langle 0,0,k\rangle## for some k, no matter what s is?

It's obvious to me that n(s) is perpendicular to z-axis, but I guess I don't really understand the following: The line L(t) must be in the direction of the vector n(s), but when we take the dot of L(t) with e_3 (the third basis vector in the canonical basis for R^3), we don't get 0 since the line is translated by the vector a(s0).

So: how is the line L(t) actually in the direction of n(s) if L(t) . e_3 =/= 0, but n(s). e_3 =0? I guess I don't understand the term "direction" well enough, since the angle between L(t) and z axis is precisely ArcCos(L(t).e_3/Norm(L(t)))?

Thanks

That makes no sense. a vector "translated" is still the same vector.

faradayslaw said:
It's obvious to me that n(s) is perpendicular to z-axis, but I guess I don't really understand the following: The line L(t) must be in the direction of the vector n(s), but when we take the dot of L(t) with e_3 (the third basis vector in the canonical basis for R^3), we don't get 0 since the line is translated by the vector a(s0).

So: how is the line L(t) actually in the direction of n(s) if L(t) . e_3 =/= 0, but n(s). e_3 =0? I guess I don't understand the term "direction" well enough, since the angle between L(t) and z axis is precisely ArcCos(L(t).e_3/Norm(L(t)))?

Thanks

L(t) is the position vector from the origin to the point on the line and it isn't perpendicular to the z axis. L(t) is the sum of two vectors: from the orgin to a(s) then from a(s) in a direction perpendicular to the z axis, which is given by n(s). The whole point of the problem is that if you go from a point on the curve in the direction of n(s) it will hit the z axis. It might help you to draw a picture of a helix going around the z axis. Pick a point on the helix an draw a position vector to that point then a line from that point perpendicularly towards the z axis. L(t) is a vector from the origin to a point on that line which varies along that line as t changes.

This clarifies it! Thank You !

What does it mean for the principal normal line to a helix to be normal to the z axis?

When the principal normal line to a helix is normal to the z axis, it means that the helix is oriented in such a way that the tangent line to any point on the helix is perpendicular to the z axis. In other words, the helix is perpendicular to the z axis at every point along its curve.

How is the principal normal line to a helix determined?

The principal normal line to a helix is determined by finding the unit tangent vector to the helix at a given point, and then finding the unit vector that is perpendicular to both the tangent vector and the z axis. This perpendicular vector is known as the principal normal vector, and the line that it lies on is the principal normal line.

Why is it important for the principal normal line to a helix to be normal to the z axis?

The principal normal line being normal to the z axis is important because it indicates that the helix is a planar curve, meaning that it lies entirely in a single plane. This property of helices is often used in engineering and mathematics to model and analyze various curved structures.

Can the principal normal line to a helix ever be parallel to the z axis?

No, the principal normal line to a helix cannot be parallel to the z axis. This is because the principal normal line is always perpendicular to the tangent vector, which is always tangent to the helix at any given point. Since the helix is oriented in three-dimensional space, the tangent vector and the principal normal line must always be perpendicular to the z axis.

How does the orientation of a helix affect the direction of the principal normal line?

The orientation of a helix does not affect the direction of the principal normal line, as the principal normal line is always perpendicular to the tangent vector at any given point. However, the direction of the helix itself can affect the direction of the principal normal line, as it determines the orientation of the tangent vector at each point along the helix.