1st year Undergraduate Grad Physics books

In summary, the recommended book by the university is Young & Freedman's University Physics (covers all the above topics), but I was wondering if you could give me other suggestions? I am really into physics so something that would go deeper than a 1st year course would also be fine.
ltjrpliskin
Hey guys, I am a maths student going onto second year. I wanted to take some physics modules but I'd need some 1st year physics pre-requisites. The topics I need to learn over the summer are:

Astronomy
Quantum Phenomena
Particle Physics
Waves
Electricity and Magnetism
Classical Mechanics and Relativity

The recommended book by the university is Young & Freedman's University Physics (covers all the above topics), but I was wondering if you could give me other suggestions? I am really into physics so something that would go deeper than a 1st year course would also be fine.

Thank you in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Feynman Lectures on Physics

Griffith's book on electrodynamics

Taylor, Mechanics

Schroeder, Thermal Physics

Jorriss said:
Feynman Lectures on Physics

Griffith's book on electrodynamics

Taylor, Mechanics

Schroeder, Thermal Physics

Thank you! Would these go beyond the first year since they are dedicated to a specific topic? And do they have lots of questions to practice on too? :)

ltjrpliskin said:
Thank you! Would these go beyond the first year since they are dedicated to a specific topic? And do they have lots of questions to practice on too? :)
They all go beyond a first year.

The feynman lectures are lectures for an intro course aimed at the very best at Caltech. That means they are freshman topics at a very high level.

Taylor, Griffiths and Schroeder are all designed for UD sequences but they cover intro topics too but at a mature level so, if you pick and choose what to read, it's approachable if you know some calculus and such.

They have tons of problems ranging from plug-n-chug to very, very challenging.

Jorriss said:
They all go beyond a first year.

The feynman lectures are lectures for an intro course aimed at the very best at Caltech. That means they are freshman topics at a very high level.

Taylor, Griffiths and Schroeder are all designed for UD sequences but they cover intro topics too but at a mature level so, if you pick and choose what to read, it's approachable if you know some calculus and such.

They have tons of problems ranging from plug-n-chug to very, very challenging.

I just checked the contents page on Taylor's Classical Mechanics... it has special relativity in it which is awesome! :)

1. What are the essential physics books for a first-year undergraduate student?

The essential physics books for a first-year undergraduate student include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by Morin, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths.

2. Do I need to purchase all of these books or can I get by with just one?

It is recommended to have at least one of the essential physics books mentioned above for a thorough understanding of the subject. However, you can choose to purchase only the ones that are required for your specific course or borrow them from the library.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement these textbooks?

Yes, there are various online resources available such as lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems that can supplement the information provided in the textbooks. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and OpenStax.

4. Can these books be used for self-study or are they meant for classroom use only?

These books can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, it is recommended to attend lectures and discussions with a professor or study group to fully understand the material and receive guidance.

5. Are there any alternative physics books that cover the same topics?

Yes, there are alternative physics books that cover similar topics, but it is important to ensure that they cover the same material and are suitable for a first-year undergraduate course. Some alternative books include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Giancoli and "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow.