Electricity question that I thought I had but I don't

• Thread starter schattenjaeger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: I got her GK4 on Steam for Christmas. I'm currently playing GK5In summary, the question is asking how to determine the magnitude of the electric field along the axis of a uniformly charged rod of length 16.6 cm. The answer is to integrate the charge density over the length of the rod and take the integral. The charge density is -22.3 micro Coulombs and the answer is 6918880.704.
schattenjaeger
Ok, the question is: you have a uniformly charged rod of length 16.6cm with charge -22.3 microCouloumbs, determine the magnitude of the electric field along the axis of the rod at a point 18.9358 cm from the center of the rod, answer in units of N/C(k is given as 8.98755 x 10^9)

Soooo then, I converted everything(hopefully correctly)16.6cm =.166m, -22.3 microC=-2.23x10^-5, 18.9358cm=.189358m. Yay. Using the formula dE=k(dQ/r^2), I found dQ to be Q/L(dl), or charge/length(dl), which I found to be -1.34337x10^-4(which I'll say is &) times dl, so taking the integral and taking out all the constants, I got k&/r^2 S(dl), where S is the integral sign, and I took it over the length of the rod which was .166, so ultimately I get k&.166/r^2 and I'll spare the long number typing. Now, to get r I subtracted .083 from .189358, I ALSO just did the given distance when I got the wrong answer(online hw, yay)and both haven't worked. The answers that have failed have been 1.77176x10^7, and the negative of that, and 5.58956x10^6(which I got using the dist from the center as given)I haven't tried the negative yet because I lose points everytime I get it wrong, and was wondering if that was possibly right? I was pretty sure I was doing it right the first way but I've quadruple checked everything and it's still wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I'm not understanding what you did. Are you given the radius of the rod? Also I want to check... Total charge on the rod is -22.3 microCouloumbs? It's not microcoulombs/m^3 by any chance?

r was just the variable I was using to represent either the length from the rod itself to the point, or the length from the center of the rod to the point, both of which I tried as I mentioned. And no, it was given as (little u sign for micro)C

Oh, and this is early in our study on electricity, so assume the rod has a negligible thickness and all that

Last edited:
Ohhh, ok, hang on. I was assuming it was a rod lying along the x-axis, and the point was a point also on the x-axis, I worded that problem pretty much as it was worded, so should I assume the point is on a line perpendicular to the rod(which I think is what you're saying)? If so that would explain everything

schattenjaeger I'm really sorry. Please ignore my posts so far... I misunderstood the problem. I'll re-read it and try to help!

Oh, no problem. I really should be sleeping but then this'll bug me allll day

Ok... I see now I believe. Your integral is done wrong...

I'll call & the charge density like you did.

So what you need to integrate is

k(&ds)/[(0.272358-s)^2]

as s goes from 0 to 0.166

&ds is dq. r= 0.272358 -s. where s is the distance from the beginning of the rod. Since 0.189 is the distance from the center of the rod 0.189+0.083 is the distance from the beginning of the rod = 0.272

Does this make sense? Also let me know if I've screwed up somewhere.

EDIT: Had to change 0.189 to 0.272

Last edited:
I think the problem with that is that k, &, and all that are constants so you can't integrate them, per se. I'm not really sure, I'll look into it tomorrow and let us know, thanks for the help!

schattenjaeger said:
I think the problem with that is that k, &, and all that are constants so you can't integrate them, per se. I'm not really sure, I'll look into it tomorrow and let us know, thanks for the help!

Yea, they're constants so just take k& out of the integral and you're left with
the integral of:

ds/[(0.272-s)^2]

Last edited:
The thing to remember is that each dq has a different r... so the r has to go under the integral.

You were absolutely right! Finalllllly

I just learned a valuable lesson/reminder about doing integrals in actual applications. I knew something was logically wrong with what I was doing, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it 'till you brought it up, thanks! FYI the answer is 6918880.704 if anyone wants to practice

schattenjaeger said:
You were absolutely right! Finalllllly

I just learned a valuable lesson/reminder about doing integrals in actual applications. I knew something was logically wrong with what I was doing, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it 'till you brought it up, thanks! FYI the answer is 6918880.704 if anyone wants to practice

Cool! :smile: Glad I was able to help! BTW are you a Gabriel Knight fan? (I'm guessing from the name schattenjaeger)...

Yup. Got GK3 for my sister's b-day years ago, she's not exactly computer savvy so I pretty much ended up playing it for her and I liked it. After that, through a mighty pulling of strings and computer manipulation, I managed to play the original on my computer which was pretty awesome

1. What is electricity and how does it work?

Electricity is a form of energy caused by the flow of electrons. It is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, through a medium or conductive material. The movement of these charged particles is known as an electric current, which can be harnessed and used to power various devices and systems.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is the type of electricity that is commonly used in homes and buildings. It flows in one direction and then reverses, oscillating back and forth. DC (direct current) electricity, on the other hand, flows in only one direction. It is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

3. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in a variety of ways, including through the use of fossil fuels, nuclear energy, and renewable sources such as wind and solar power. Most commonly, electricity is generated by rotating turbines that are connected to a generator. The rotation of the turbines creates mechanical energy, which is then converted into electrical energy.

4. What are conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electricity to flow through them easily, such as metals. Insulators, on the other hand, are materials that do not allow electricity to flow through them easily, such as rubber or plastic. These materials are used to control and direct the flow of electricity in electrical systems.

5. Can electricity be dangerous?

Yes, electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly. High levels of electricity can cause electric shocks, burns, and other injuries. It is important to always follow safety precautions when working with electricity, such as wearing protective gear and avoiding contact with live wires.