Tool or software able to find the length of the sides

In summary, pythagorous says that the length of a wire from the origin to a specified point is given by the square of the length of a diagonal from the origin to that point.
hgphtgi
Hello there!

I'm looking for such a tool or software able to find the length of the sides ( xa, xb, xc and xd ) each time i moved the point x, hint that a, b, c and d are fixed and known

please help me this is the last problem in my project
REGARDS

Attachments

• dada.JPG
    dada.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I get a mark for working out that this is to do with suspending a TV camera over a football pitch? Well even if it isn't let's pretend it is..

Best approach I reckon is to assume that the plane abcd is the pitich or rather a plane the same size raised above it. Let's call that the xy plane. The camera is then at position x,y,z where z is the height above the pitch (or below the suspension points abcd depending on how you look at it)

Pick one of the points (eg "a" as the origin).

Then pythagorous says the length of the "a-camera" wire is given by

(a-camera)2 = x2 + y2 +z2

The rest I'll leave to you.

thanks a lot CWatters

sorry i am study diploma ( 1 sem ), i mean i am not an expert u know. please help me to get the solution.

regards

You haven't indicated how you control or know the position x. If you know its x, y, z coordinates relative to a, b, c and d then just apply Pythagoras' Theorem as already suggested. If not, what?
Btw, the four distances are related by xa2 + xd2 = xb2 + xc2.

haruspex said:
You haven't indicated how you control or know the position x. If you know its x, y, z coordinates relative to a, b, c and d then just apply Pythagoras' Theorem as already suggested. If not, what?
Btw, the four distances are related by xa2 + xd2 = xb2 + xc2.

tnx haruspex for ur reply

in fact i know the height of point x, however i am not expert in mathematics, can you please support your answer with an example.

sorry friend but i hv no choice to understand except this way

regards

If you can't understand pythagorous then this is going to be very difficult.

Start with a 2D problem..

Draw a rectangle on the ground with sides x and y. Then the length of a diagonal d is given by pythagorous as

d2=x2 + y2

or d= sqrt(x2 + y2)

Now imagine you have a pole with a point Z on it stuck in the ground at corner x,y. Draw the triangle from the origin 0,0,0 to x,y,0 to x,y,z and back to the origin. Note it has sides of length d and z

The length of the "3D diagonal" big D from the origin (0,0,0) to (x,y,z) is given by

D2= d2 + z2

but we know d2 = x2 + y2

so D2= x2 + y2 + z2

This gives you the length of one of the wires from the origin to point z.

eg

D = Sqrt(x2 + y2 + z2)Working out the length of the other wires in terms of x,y,z is only slightly more complicated

Last edited:

1. How does a tool or software find the length of the sides?

A tool or software is able to find the length of the sides by using mathematical equations and algorithms. It takes in the known measurements, such as angles or other side lengths, and uses them to calculate the length of the unknown sides.

2. What type of input is required for a tool or software to find the length of the sides?

The type of input required depends on the specific tool or software being used. Some may only require measurements of angles and other sides, while others may require more complex inputs such as coordinates or equations.

3. Can a tool or software find the length of the sides for any shape?

Yes, as long as the necessary measurements and inputs are provided, a tool or software can find the length of the sides for any shape. However, it may be more challenging for more complex shapes with irregular or curved sides.

4. How accurate are the results from a tool or software that finds the length of the sides?

The accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the inputs and the complexity of the shape being measured. In general, most tools and software are able to provide accurate results within a reasonable margin of error.

5. Are there any limitations to using a tool or software to find the length of the sides?

One potential limitation is that some tools or software may only work for specific types of shapes or may have a limited range of inputs they can handle. Additionally, accuracy may be affected by human error in inputting the measurements.