Civil Engineering: Hydrogeology, Height of a Perched Aquifer Water Table

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about calculating the height of a perched water table above a low permeable layer. The equation q=K*I is used to solve for the height, with the given values of q=0.03 m/day, K=0.12 m/day for the upper layer, and K=0.01 m/day for the restricting layer. A small mistake is corrected in the calculation, and the solution for dh1 can be determined.
civilstudent2

Homework Statement

Heavy infiltration (due to excess irrigation) of 3 cm/d causes a perched water table to form above a low permeable, flow-restricting layer. The top of the restricting layer is at a depth of 2 m, it is 0.4 m thick, and it has a K_v of 0.01 m/day. The material above the restricting layer is a silt loam with a K_v of 0.12 m/day. Coarse sand and gravel occurs below the restricting layer. After flowing through the restricting layer, the water moves as unsaturated flow through the sand and gravel to an unconfined aquifer. What is the height of the perched water table above the top of the restricting layer?

Homework Equations

q= constant for all layers
q = K * I = K * (dh/dL)

The Attempt at a Solution

Because of the vertical layering and conservation of mass, the q (unit flow) through each layer should be the same. I tried the following:

q = 0.03 m/day = (0.12)(dh1/dL1) = (0.01)(dh2/0.4)

my goal, I believe is to solve for dL1 (labeled as L in the attached picture). But it appears I have too many unknowns or I am missing some fundamental concept.

Attachments

• 2012-09-10 16.27.10.jpg
    2012-09-10 16.27.10.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. I agree with your approach of using the equation q=K*I to solve for the height of the perched water table.

However, I believe you have made a small mistake in your calculation. The equation should be:

q = 0.03 m/day = (0.12 m/day)(dh1/dL1) = (0.01 m/day)(dh2/0.4 m)

This is because the permeability values (K) are given in units of m/day, so they should be multiplied by the units of flow (m/day) to get the actual flow rate (q).

Using this corrected equation, you should be able to solve for the height of the perched water table (dh1). Let me know if you have any further questions or if this solution does not work for you.

1. What is hydrogeology?

Hydrogeology is the scientific study of the occurrence, distribution, movement, and quality of water below the Earth's surface.

2. What is a perched aquifer?

A perched aquifer is an isolated body of saturated rock or sediment located above the main water table. It is typically separated from the main water table by a relatively impermeable layer of rock or sediment.

3. How is the height of a perched aquifer water table determined?

The height of a perched aquifer water table is determined by measuring the distance between the top of the aquifer and the main water table. This can be done through drilling and measuring the water levels in wells or through geophysical methods such as electrical resistivity imaging.

4. What factors affect the height of a perched aquifer water table?

The height of a perched aquifer water table can be affected by a variety of factors, including topography, geology, climate, and human activities such as pumping or land use changes. The permeability of the layers above and below the aquifer also plays a significant role in the height of the water table.

5. Why is understanding the height of a perched aquifer water table important?

Understanding the height of a perched aquifer water table is important for managing and protecting groundwater resources. It can help determine the potential for contamination, the availability of water for human and ecological use, and the potential impacts of land use changes on the aquifer system.