Question Regarding Ellipses

• Thread starter Physt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ellipses
In summary, the conversation discusses an algorithm for creating the smallest possible ellipse to encompass multiple points in 2D euclidean space. The algorithm involves finding the major and minor axes and centerpoint, and then solving a set of equations to determine the foci of the ellipse. However, it is noted that this algorithm may not always result in the smallest ellipse, as the third point can be positioned in a way to make the ellipse larger. The conversation also mentions a resource for further study and solving the equation using WolframAlpha.
Physt
I'm trying to write an algorithm that will create the smallest possible ellipse to encompass any number of points on 2D euclidean space. I've gotten it to the point where I can attain the major axis A by taking the furthest two points in the set and likewise the centerpoint C as the average of those two furthest points. I now want to loop through the remaining points in the set to find the highest minor axis B value, once the two furthest points are found the remaining points are normalized to them (moved/rotated) such that the center point of the ellipse is the new (0,0) and it is going to be an ellipse with horizontal foci, my question is:

Given the centerpoint of a normalized ellipse, it's major diameter A and any point P laying on the circumference of that ellipse, how do I find the focus F, or the minor diameter B?

If this helps explain it, I have C, a and P of this diagram, I want to find b or f:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Ellipse_Properties_of_Directrix_and_String_Construction.svg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simple. You solve

[tex]PF_1 + PF_2 = 2a[/tex]
subject to the constraint

[tex]CF_1 = CF_2[/tex]
where [itex]F_1, F_2[/itex] lie along [itex]\overline{AC}[/itex] on opposite sides of [itex]C[/itex]. You have two algebraic equations for two unknowns: the locations of the two foci.

By the way, your algorithm is not going to find the smallest ellipse, if by "smallest" you mean "smallest area" or "smallest perimeter" (and take care, these two definitions of "smallest" are not compatible!). Your algorithm assumes that the two most distant points will coincide to the two endpoints of the ellipse along the major axis. Given the two endpoints F and G, the third point P can be chosen such that all of these hold:

1. [itex]FG > PG > PF[/itex]

2. The ellipse having FG as one of its axes, and passing through P, can be made arbitrarily large (either in perimeter or area) by appropriate placement of P (very near F).

3. FG actually turns out to be the minor axis, rather than major!

In fact, in the case that 3 holds, the equations I gave at the top will have no real solutions (because the equations assume the foci are on the line [itex]\overline{FG}[/itex]).

I did find http://www.cs.cornell.edu/cv/OtherPdf/Ellipse.pdf online, but it will take a bit of study on my part to figure out how to code it into an algorithm, I'd like to know how to solve this equation first as it seems a lot simpler:
Ben Niehoff said:
[tex]PF_1 + PF_2 = 2a[/tex]
subject to the constraint
Ben Niehoff said:
[tex]CF_1 = CF_2[/tex]
Is there any way you could break the equation down for me ending in [tex]f=[/tex] so that I can see how it is done?

Nope, you're responsible for your own algebra.

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that looks like a stretched out circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points, called foci, is constant.

What are the properties of an ellipse?

An ellipse has two foci, a major axis and a minor axis. The sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the two foci is constant. The length of the major axis is twice the length of the minor axis. The center of the ellipse is the midpoint of the major axis.

How do you find the equation of an ellipse?

The general equation of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse, a is the length of the semi-major axis, and b is the length of the semi-minor axis. The equation can also be written in terms of the foci as (x-x1)^2/a^2 + (y-y1)^2/b^2 = 1, where (x1,y1) are the coordinates of one focus.

What are some real-life applications of ellipses?

Ellipses are used in many fields such as astronomy, architecture, and engineering. They can be seen in the orbits of planets around the sun, the design of arches and domes in buildings, and the shape of satellite dishes. They are also used in the study of conic sections and in the creation of mathematical models.

How are ellipses different from other conic sections?

Ellipses are one type of conic section, along with circles, parabolas, and hyperbolas. The main difference between ellipses and the other types is the shape and the number of foci. Circles have one focus and are symmetric, while parabolas have one focus and are asymmetrical. Hyperbolas have two foci and are open curves. Ellipses have two foci and are symmetric, but not as much as circles.