The area form of a Riemannian surface

In summary, on an oriented Riemannian surface $(M,g)$, there is a canonical area-2 form $\mathrm{d}M$ that can be defined globally as $\mathrm{d}M = \sqrt{|g|} \mathrm{d}u^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}u^2$ with respect to a positively oriented chart $(u_{\alpha}, M_{\alpha})$. This form is independent of the choice of coordinates and can be expressed in terms of local coordinates $u$ as $\mathrm{d}M=\sqrt{|g|}\mathrm{d}u^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}u^2$. Additionally, the effect of a change of
semigroups
Let $$(M,g)$$ be an oriented Remannian surface. Then globally $$(M,g)$$ has a canonical area-2 form $$\mathrm{d}M$$ defined by $$\mathrm{d}M=\sqrt{|g|} \mathrm{d}u^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}u^2$$ with respect to a positively oriented chart $$(u_{\alpha}, M_{\alpha})$$ where $$|g|=\mathrm{det}(g_{ij})$$ is the determinant of the Remannian metric in the coordinate frame for $$u_{\alpha}$$.

Let $$u^{i}=\Phi^{i}(v^1,v^2)$$ be a change of variables (so $$\Phi: V \to U$$ is the diffeomorphism of the coordinate change). Calculate the effect on $$\sqrt{|g|}$$ and $$\mathrm{d}u^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}u^2$$ to prove $$\mathrm{d}M$$ is independent of the choice of positively oriented coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
The intelligible way to introduce the canonical volume form dM on a riemannian manifold is by declaring it to be the top form that takes the value 1 on any positively oriented g-orthonormal basis. This is obviously well-defined simply because the transformation matrix btw any 2 such basis is an element of SO(n) which has determinant 1. Then, we may ask what is the local expression of this form in terms of local coordinates u.

For this, pick an arbitrary positively oriented g-orthonormal basis v. Then
[tex]dM=\det(A)du^1\wedge ... \wedge du^n[/tex]
where A= "transformation matrix from basis ∂/∂u to basis v" = (g(∂/∂ui,vj)).

On the other hand, go ahead and compute gij=g(∂/∂ui,∂/∂uj) to be A².

Thus conclude that wrt local coordinates, dM has the form from your definition.

I got $$\mathrm{d}u^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}u^2=\mathrm{det}(\Phi) \mathrm{d}v^1\wedge\mathrm{d}v^2$$. I also know $$g_{ij}=\langle \frac{\partial}{\partial u^i} \frac{\partial}{\partial u^j} \rangle$$, moreover, for a surface $$f: U \to \mathbb{R}^3$$ the components of its first fundamental form $g$ after a change of variables $$u=\Phi(v)$$ becomes $$g'_{ij}(v)=\frac{\partial u^k}{\partial v^i}\frac{\partial u^l}{\partial v^j}g_{kl}(\Phi(v))$$. But I don't know how to apply chain rule to the expression $$g_{ij}=\langle \frac{\partial}{\partial u^i} \frac{\partial}{\partial u^j} \rangle$$ which is not related to any $$f$$?

Followed by Willie's hint. Write $$u^1=u^1(v^1,v^2)$$ and $$u^2=u^2(v^1,v^2)$$ to get $$\mathrm{d}u^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}u^2=\mathrm{det}(A)\mathrm{d}v^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}v^2$$where $$A:=\begin{vmatrix}\frac{\partial u^1}{\partial v^1}&\frac{\partial u^1}{\partial v^2}\\ \frac{\partial u^2}{\partial v^1}&\frac{\partial u^2}{\partial v^2}\end{vmatrix}$$ is the Jaobian for $$\Phi$$

Denote the new Remannian metric by $$g'$$ and apply chain rule to get $$g'_{ij}=g_{kl}\frac{\partial u^k}{\partial v^i}\frac{\partial u^l}{\partial v^j}.$$ Which is equivalent to $$(g'_{ij})=(A)(g_{ij})(A)^t$$, take determinant on both sides yield $$|g'|=|A|^2|g|$$.

Now $$\mathrm{d}M=\sqrt|g'| \mathrm{d}v^1 \wedge \mathrm{d}v^2=|A|\sqrt|g|\frac{1}{|A|}\mathrm{d}u^1\wedge\mathrm{d}u^2=\sqrt|g|\mathrm{d}u^1\wedge\mathrm{d}u^2$$

Last edited:
Well done!

1. What is the area form of a Riemannian surface?

The area form of a Riemannian surface is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to measure the infinitesimal area of a surface. It is a 2-form, which means it assigns a number to each tangent plane of the surface.

2. How is the area form different from the area of a shape?

The area form is a continuous function that assigns an area to every tangent plane of a surface, while the area of a shape is a single value representing the total area of the shape. Additionally, the area form takes into account the curvature of the surface, while the area of a shape does not.

3. What is the significance of the area form in Riemannian geometry?

The area form plays a crucial role in Riemannian geometry as it allows for the calculation of various geometric quantities, such as surface area, curvature, and volume. It also serves as a fundamental tool in the study of minimal surfaces and is used in the formulation of the famous Gauss-Bonnet theorem.

4. How is the area form related to the metric tensor?

The metric tensor of a Riemannian surface defines the inner product on the tangent space of the surface, which is used to measure angles and distances. The area form is derived from the metric tensor, and it encodes information about the local behavior of the surface, such as its curvature and orientation.

5. Can the area form be extended to higher-dimensional manifolds?

Yes, the concept of the area form can be extended to higher-dimensional manifolds using the notion of a volume form. A volume form is a differential form that assigns a volume to each oriented tangent space of a manifold. It generalizes the idea of the area form to higher dimensions and is an essential tool in differential geometry and topology.