Are capacitors a viable option for storing charge in electronic circuits?

In summary, capacitors are useful for storing charge because they can smooth out fluctuations in voltage and provide a steady flow of energy. However, they are not efficient for long term energy storage and are better suited for short bursts of energy. Rechargeable batteries and capacitors both store energy, not just charge. When it comes to backup energy storage, factors such as size, voltage, cost, and energy capacity need to be considered. It is not possible to store energy in a generator, as it converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.
@cpatel23

Capacitors are great for quick discharges of energy that batteries could only dream of doing. The classical example is the flash of a camera. It would take a battery a long time to discharge the needed energy for the flash, and it would be beyond infuriating to have to wait standing still God knows how long until the camera finally releases the charge.

You will also learn in your electronics course that the Capacitors are also very useful in AC to DC converters because they help reduce the Ripple voltage.

As for the textbook, I highly recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0073380458/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I used a different one for my electronics course, and honestly speaking I didn't like it too much. It felt too theoretical without enough real life examples to understand what was going on. I will use the one in the link a gave above for my digital electronics class next semester and from what I've seen so far it is much better and easier to read than the one I used.

I suggest reading part one: Solid State Electronic and Devices. Parts two and three are for more advanced courses.

And just in case, this is the book I used for my course:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195323033/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you are going to buy one, then I suggest the first one. If you will get them digitally, try to get both and use them as references.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
There's no reason to be rude.

I don't think it's rudeness - it is just lack of empathy. Some people just latch on a particular interpretation of an idea and don't see the way the rest of the World (the 'informed' world) view it. They decide that they are 'right' and cannot reconsider. Can be quite a nightmare in personal dealings in the real world. Happily, on a forum like this it doesn't represent a problem.

Thread closed for now. I'll try to have a look at it after the holiday.

EDIT -- Thread will just remain locked. Let's try not to be so argumentative over terminology, especially trying to push non-standard terminology.

Ratch -- check your PMs.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?</h2><p>A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, electrons accumulate on one plate, creating a negative charge, while the other plate becomes positively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy in the form of electric charge.</p><h2>2. How are capacitors used in electronic circuits?</h2><p>Capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits for a variety of purposes. They can be used to filter out unwanted signals, smooth out fluctuations in power supply, and store energy for later use. They are also used in timing circuits, oscillators, and as part of power supply units.</p><h2>3. What are the advantages of using capacitors for storing charge?</h2><p>Capacitors have several advantages when used for storing charge in electronic circuits. They can charge and discharge quickly, making them useful for applications that require rapid energy transfer. They also have a high energy density, meaning they can store a large amount of energy in a small space. Additionally, capacitors have a long lifespan and can withstand high temperatures, making them reliable for use in various electronic devices.</p><h2>4. Are capacitors a viable option for long-term energy storage?</h2><p>While capacitors are efficient at storing and releasing energy quickly, they are not a viable option for long-term energy storage. This is because they have a limited storage capacity compared to other energy storage methods, such as batteries. Capacitors also have a tendency to self-discharge, meaning they lose their stored energy over time. Therefore, they are better suited for short-term energy storage in electronic circuits rather than long-term energy storage.</p><h2>5. Are there any limitations to using capacitors for storing charge?</h2><p>Yes, there are some limitations to using capacitors for storing charge. As mentioned before, they have a limited storage capacity compared to other energy storage methods. They also have a limited voltage rating, meaning they can only store a certain amount of charge before reaching their maximum capacity. Additionally, capacitors can be sensitive to temperature changes and may experience leakage, which can affect their performance. These limitations must be considered when deciding whether capacitors are a viable option for storing charge in electronic circuits.</p>

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, electrons accumulate on one plate, creating a negative charge, while the other plate becomes positively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy in the form of electric charge.

2. How are capacitors used in electronic circuits?

Capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits for a variety of purposes. They can be used to filter out unwanted signals, smooth out fluctuations in power supply, and store energy for later use. They are also used in timing circuits, oscillators, and as part of power supply units.

3. What are the advantages of using capacitors for storing charge?

Capacitors have several advantages when used for storing charge in electronic circuits. They can charge and discharge quickly, making them useful for applications that require rapid energy transfer. They also have a high energy density, meaning they can store a large amount of energy in a small space. Additionally, capacitors have a long lifespan and can withstand high temperatures, making them reliable for use in various electronic devices.

4. Are capacitors a viable option for long-term energy storage?

While capacitors are efficient at storing and releasing energy quickly, they are not a viable option for long-term energy storage. This is because they have a limited storage capacity compared to other energy storage methods, such as batteries. Capacitors also have a tendency to self-discharge, meaning they lose their stored energy over time. Therefore, they are better suited for short-term energy storage in electronic circuits rather than long-term energy storage.

5. Are there any limitations to using capacitors for storing charge?

Yes, there are some limitations to using capacitors for storing charge. As mentioned before, they have a limited storage capacity compared to other energy storage methods. They also have a limited voltage rating, meaning they can only store a certain amount of charge before reaching their maximum capacity. Additionally, capacitors can be sensitive to temperature changes and may experience leakage, which can affect their performance. These limitations must be considered when deciding whether capacitors are a viable option for storing charge in electronic circuits.