PV work: differential vs instantaneous

In summary, there was a discussion about the difference in PV work for a reversible and irreversible process involving a tank with a piston and gas. It was mentioned that for the irreversible process, the pressure is not uniform and the work done on the surroundings is calculated using the pressure at the interface. Conversely, for a reversible process, the pressure is uniform and matches the surroundings. More information can be found on the speaker's personal blog at their PF personal page.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am having a conceptual difficulty understanding the following scenario

Suppose you has a tank with a piston and some gas. In the first situation, there is some weight on the piston holding it down, and when you remove a differential amount of weight from the piston, you end up getting different PV work than if say the piston was latched, and then you suddenly release the latch. I suppose its due to the reversible vs. irreversible process,

In the case of the differential weight removal, the integral becomes

W = nRT ∫dV/V

Why could this not be done for the irreversible process? Is the nRT/V term supposed to indicate that the volume slowly changes, so the pressure is changing slowly, but for the irreversible process the pressure change is near instant?

In the latch case, I don't know when calculating the work done by the gas, if the work should be the initial pressure times change in volume, or the final pressure times change in volume, and why.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the latch is removed and the gas expands irreversibly, the pressure is not even uniform spatially within the system, so what pressure do you use to calculate the work done on the surroundings? What you use is the pressure at the interface with the surroundings, pI. If the force per unit area at the interface is held constant in the irreversible expansion (say by expansion against a large volume of air), then the work is pIΔV.

If the process is carried out reversibly, then the pressure within the system is essentially perfectly uniform, and matches the pressure of the surroundings at the interface. This is the case that is approximated when the weights are removed incrementally.

For more details, see my Blog at my PF personal page.

Chet

1. What is PV work and how is it different from other forms of work?

PV work refers to the work done by a system due to changes in its pressure (P) and volume (V). It is different from other forms of work, such as mechanical work, in that it specifically takes into account changes in pressure and volume.

2. What is the difference between differential and instantaneous PV work?

Differential PV work is calculated by taking the integral of the product of pressure and volume over a specific range of values. It represents the total work done by a system during a process. Instantaneous PV work, on the other hand, refers to the work done at a specific moment in time and is calculated by multiplying the pressure and volume at that moment.

3. How do I calculate differential PV work?

To calculate differential PV work, you need to integrate the product of pressure and volume over a specific range of values. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by using a graph and finding the area under the curve.

4. What is the significance of PV work in thermodynamics?

PV work is significant in thermodynamics because it is one of the major forms of work involved in energy transfer. It is also used to calculate changes in internal energy and enthalpy of a system, which are important parameters in thermodynamic processes.

5. Can PV work be negative?

Yes, PV work can be negative. This occurs when the system is doing work on its surroundings, such as in expansion processes. Negative PV work indicates a decrease in the internal energy of the system.