Chemistry Question: 2s Orbital & 3px Orbital | Evidence of Octet Stability

• Thread starter amtmail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the first question asks how many nodal surfaces are there for a 2s orbital and a 3px orbital, and the second question asks what evidence indicates that the octet structures might be more stable than others.
amtmail
Hello everyone.
here i come back again.
I have a homework question that i really need help with. the question says:
How many nodal surfaces are there for a 2s orbital and for a 3px orbital?

There is another question that says: What evidence indicates that the octet structures might be more stable than others?

I am wating for ur respose...please respond to me as soon as possible... i really need ur help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First question has recently been asked and answered here, due a search. Second question is some how resonating with me ;)

amtmail said:
Hello everyone.
here i come back again.
I have a homework question that i really need help with. the question says:
How many nodal surfaces are there for a 2s orbital and for a 3px orbital?

There is another question that says: What evidence indicates that the octet structures might be more stable than others?

I am wating for ur respose...please respond to me as soon as possible... i really need ur help.
We can not respond until you post your thoughts first...

Last edited:
ok i think i got it

for the first question...i think a 2s orbital has ero nodal surfaces and a 3px orbital has 3 or 1 nodal surfaces...i am not really sure

for the second question is it when the atom doesn't react with any other atom because it is stable.?? for ex. noble gases?? :confused:

amtmail said:
for the first question...i think a 2s orbital has ero nodal surfaces and a 3px orbital has 3 or 1 nodal surfaces...i am not really sure

for the second question is it when the atom doesn't react with any other atom because it is stable.?? for ex. noble gases?? :confused:

For your first question, this website should give you straightforward visual answers:http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/orbitron/AOs/3s/index.html

amtmail said:
Very good. Chemical inertness is definitely evidence of the stability that comes from the octet configuration.

please inform me.

Thanx for answering my second question. I was wondering if u could tell me if my answer to the 1st question was right. please tell me if it is right or wrong because i am not sure abt it.. :uhh:

1. What is the difference between 2s and 3px orbitals in chemistry?

The main difference between 2s and 3px orbitals is their size and shape. The 2s orbital is spherical in shape and is larger than the 3px orbital, which is dumbbell-shaped. Additionally, the 2s orbital is located closer to the nucleus compared to the 3px orbital.

2. How do the 2s and 3px orbitals contribute to octet stability?

The 2s and 3px orbitals both contribute to octet stability by allowing atoms to achieve a full valence shell of 8 electrons. The 2s orbital can hold up to 2 electrons, while the 3px orbital can hold up to 2 electrons as well. When combined with other orbitals, such as the 2p orbitals, the 2s and 3px orbitals help to fill the outermost energy level and achieve octet stability.

3. Is there any evidence that supports the concept of octet stability?

Yes, there is evidence that supports octet stability. Many chemical compounds, such as noble gases, have 8 valence electrons and are known to be stable. Additionally, the octet rule, which states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons to achieve a full outer shell, is widely observed in chemical reactions.

4. Can atoms have more than 8 electrons in their outer shell?

Yes, some atoms can have more than 8 electrons in their outer shell. This is known as an expanded octet and is commonly observed in elements in period 3 and beyond on the periodic table. These elements have d orbitals in their outermost energy level, allowing them to hold more than 8 electrons.

5. How does the concept of octet stability relate to chemical bonding?

The concept of octet stability is closely related to chemical bonding. Atoms form chemical bonds with each other in order to achieve a full outer shell of 8 electrons, following the octet rule. This can occur through the transfer of electrons (ionic bonding) or the sharing of electrons (covalent bonding). The stability of the resulting compound is largely dependent on achieving an octet of electrons in each atom's outer shell.