Graduation Advice: 21-Year-Old in Doubt Between Computer Science & Physics

• Thread starter Uzai
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a 21-year-old who left their job to focus on studying for university exams in Brazil. They were an average student in high school but developed an interest in science. Instead of taking admission tests, they did a technical course in electronics which sparked their interest in physics. They are now considering two options for university: computer science or physics. They are unsure about job opportunities in physics and their lack of mathematical skills. The responder suggests studying computer science while also keeping an eye on applications in scientific research. They also emphasize the importance of continuing to learn and apply skills outside of formal education.
Uzai
Before my questions, a small introduction of myself...

I'm 21 years old by now. Left my job this month to dedicate myself in studying for the exams needed to ingress in the universities in my country (BR).
Until high-school I never was a "good" student (or "bad"), just studying enough to get approved. But I always liked science, mostly physics, chemistry, not so much math.
After finishing high-school, knowing of my academic deficiencies (due studying just enough to get approved), and knowing very little about universities, I did not take the admission tests. Instead I did a technical course (or professional course, don't know how it's called in US/UK/Europe) in electronics. This showed me a brand new world, my interest in physics increased, as my interest to ingress in college.

Working for some time in the electronics area, I know i DON'T want work with it, despite liking electronics. At least, the technician jobs seem too "dumb" (simple if you prefer) for me, and the engineering ones are almost all the time just administrative. I know this thought is kind limited, as I obviously don't know all technician and engineering jobs in my country, but I really want to change my area.

I'm in doubt between two graduation courses:

1 - Computer Science: from the electronics course, the subjects that I most liked was digital electronics (logic gates, logic circuits) and microcontrollers (programming, studying the microstructure of the microprocessor, making algorithms). I'm not a master on it, but I have some ease on those subjects.

2 - Physics: As I said, always liked it and always get intrigued by it. Every little new thing that I learn just increases my curiosity. But, I'm not so good on math. Regarding the physics of high-school (don't know if its the same on US/UK/Europe) I have good knowledge on it.

Would like to hear your opinions about my choices. I know that graduating in Computer Science there will be no problem to find a job. Graduating in physics, I don't know.

Do you think not being a math genius is a drawback for graduation in physics?
The math that I will learn in CS can give me means to study physics by myself in the future?
How CS and physics are related today? I'm also interested in molecular dynamics.

Sorry for the long post and any english mistake. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see some very good things in your questions:

1. You realize that the career is not the same thing as the study.

2. You recognize having an interest in something does not mean you want to make your career from it.

3. You have narrowed your potential career choices, though you remain unsure.

These are all good things.

Why?

Because I can't tell you, while sitting here in my office on the other side of the equator, what the future holds. I can barely tell you five years from now what kind of future to expect --nor can anyone else. If we could, we would command the markets of the world and be extremely wealthy.

However, I can offer a few observations: Discoveries tend to happen when someone studies two or more interests and combines those experiences to advance the state of the art. Discoveries within a single discipline are rare, and usually involve a new application of mathematics.

My suggestion to you, if you can afford it, is to study Computer Science while continuing a minor study of a basic science on the side. Your skills on computing will probably be useful for decades to come, but the application of those skills is where you will get ahead.

I have met many who were just smart enough to understand one aspect of one field and were left behind when the market changed. Don't do that to yourself. Study the computer science but keep an eye on the applications to scientific research. You may find some interesting ideas between the two. However, note that many physicists are quite proficient with software design, so you might want to investigate other physical sciences, such as chemistry.

Most of all, do not stop learning when you graduate. You do not have to be in a formal classroom setting to learn. In fact, you are probably better off if you apply your classroom study habits to some endeavor outside formal teaching.

Ultimately, that is the goal of all the formal education you have received to date: to be able to study on your own discover new things by yourself, and then convey what you have learned to others. That is why a basic understanding of some physical science, in addition to your interest in computing, is probably the best course of study.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

1. What factors should I consider when choosing between computer science and physics as a major?

When making this decision, it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Think about which subject you enjoy studying more and which one aligns better with your long-term career aspirations.

2. Will one major be more beneficial than the other in terms of job opportunities?

Both computer science and physics are in-demand fields with a wide range of job opportunities. However, computer science tends to have a larger number of job openings and higher salaries, while physics offers more specialized and research-oriented positions.

3. How do the coursework and career paths differ between computer science and physics?

Computer science focuses on programming, software development, and data analysis, while physics is more centered around math, problem-solving, and scientific research. Computer science majors often pursue careers in technology, business, or data science, while physics majors often go into academia or research.

4. Can I double major or minor in both computer science and physics?

It is possible to double major or minor in both fields, but it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. Consider speaking with academic advisors and career counselors to determine if this is a feasible option and if it aligns with your goals.

5. Are there any transferable skills between computer science and physics?

Both fields require strong analytical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail. Additionally, computer science and physics both involve working with complex data and using technology to solve problems. These skills can be applied to a variety of industries and careers.