High rez electromagnetic field mapping

In summary: EM field of a metal sample with more detail. He is looking for a way to do this with a fine line map that is sensitive to environmental fields. -There is no standard way to measure EM fields like this, but there may be a device or software that can help. -Dan is unsure if he will need a very high resolution for his goal or if a lower resolution will be enough.
veld
Greetings, I am currently working on an interesting experiment on crystalized metal and I need to find a way to get a detailed map of an electromagnetic field when current is induced into a metal sample. I found the basic 2D approach of using conductivity paper and Ag ink to be useless as it produces very crude results. I am looking for a way to yield more detail with fine lines that will show greater characteristics from my sample. A 3D map would be a good start I would think. I also would think such a fine mapping would be sensitive to environmental fields such as the Earths magnetic field, so I am guessing the experiment will need to be shielded in some way. Does anyone know how I can do this? Sorry I am not a physicist so I am not familiar what is used when they need to do this type of work. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an extremely complex problem, there is no standard way of performing this type of measurement.

The best you might be able to do is enlist the help of someone with a bit of expertise in writing simulation programs for Finite Element problems. There may also be software packages available that can also perform this kind of simulation.

Claude.

Thanks Claude for the reply.

I would think there was some common device used in physics to collect a 3D image of EM fields, but I guess I am wrong. I am sure the large universities must have such a method or device to do this.

Well then is there a device that can do a more precise 2D mapping?

I use a technique called SNOM to measure optical electromagnetic fields, however this wouldn't be suitable for DC fields. How small do you need the resolution to be?

Claude.

Good question, I am really not sure how detailed ill need. My objective is to keep trying better and better measurements until I can tell the difference between a crystalized and non crystalized sample from just its EM signature.
-Dan

1. What is high resolution electromagnetic field mapping?

High resolution electromagnetic field mapping is a technique used to measure and visualize the electromagnetic fields in a particular area with great accuracy. It involves using specialized equipment and software to gather data and create detailed maps of the electromagnetic fields present.

2. Why is high resolution electromagnetic field mapping important?

High resolution electromagnetic field mapping is important because it allows scientists and researchers to better understand the complex electromagnetic environment in which we live. It can also help identify potential sources of electromagnetic interference or hazards, such as power lines or radio frequency emissions.

3. What are the applications of high resolution electromagnetic field mapping?

High resolution electromagnetic field mapping has a wide range of applications, including in the fields of telecommunications, power transmission, environmental monitoring, and medical research. It can also be used to study the effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms and to improve the design and placement of electronic devices.

4. How is high resolution electromagnetic field mapping performed?

High resolution electromagnetic field mapping is typically performed using specialized instruments, such as electromagnetic sensors or antennas, which are placed at specific locations to gather data. The data is then processed and visualized using advanced software to create detailed maps of the electromagnetic fields in the area.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to high resolution electromagnetic field mapping?

While high resolution electromagnetic field mapping does involve exposure to electromagnetic fields, the levels used in this technique are generally considered safe for humans. However, it is important for researchers and technicians to follow proper safety protocols and regulations to minimize any potential risks.