How can one find the area between the curves

In summary, to find the area between three curves that intersect, one can use a double integral. However, the specific method used will depend on the curves themselves. In the common situation of a "curvy" triangle, where one curve is below the other two, one can use two separate integrals to find the area.
mathelord
when three curves intersect,i mean like the intersection of three straight lines to give a triangle,how can one find the area between the curves

Mathematics news on Phys.org
area of a triangle is given by 1/2 * b * h

I think mathelord means any three curves. You can use a double integral. Do you know calculus?

If you don't know calculus you calculate the height. The factor of two perpendicular slopes is -1.

The man said curves! Assuming he is asking about the area of the region formed by three general curves, he will need to use caluculus.

Exactly how that is done depends on the curves themselves. In the very common situation, a sort of "curvy" triangle, where you have one curve under the other two (between the points where the other two intersect it), then you don't need a double integral. You will need to break the integral into two parts. I'm going to call the curve on the bottom C1, the graph of y= f1(x), and the other two C1 and C2, graphs of y=f2(x), y= f3(x) respectively. Let's say that C2 intersect C1 at x=a, C3 intersects C1 at x= c, and that C2 is below C3 until they intersect at x= b after which C3 is below C2.

Then the area is given by two separate integrals:
[tex]\int_a^b(f2(x)-f1(x))dx+ \int_b^c(f3(x)-f1(x)dx[/tex]

1. How do I find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you need to first graph the two curves and identify the points of intersection. Then, you can use the definite integral to calculate the area between the two curves by subtracting the area under the lower curve from the area under the upper curve.

2. Can I find the area between curves without graphing?

No, graphing is an essential step in finding the area between two curves. It helps to visualize the curves and identify the points of intersection, which are necessary for calculating the area using definite integrals.

3. What if the curves intersect multiple times?

If the curves intersect multiple times, you will need to split the area into smaller sections and use the definite integral for each section. Then, you can add the individual areas together to find the total area between the curves.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when finding the area between curves?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider, such as when one curve is above the other for the entire interval, or when one curve is entirely contained within the other. In these cases, the area between the curves can be found using a single definite integral.

5. Can I use any type of curve to find the area between two curves?

Yes, you can use any type of curve, including linear, quadratic, exponential, or trigonometric curves, to find the area between two curves. The method for finding the area will be the same, regardless of the type of curve.