About domain in a compound function

In summary, the conversation discusses the rule for obtaining the domain of a compound function, which states that the domain of (f o g)(x) is the set of all real numbers x such that g(x) is in the domain of f(x). This rule is then applied to the functions f(x) = x^(1/4) and g(x) = x^2, resulting in f(g(x)) = x^(1/2). However, it is pointed out that this is incorrect as the domains of the two expressions are different. The correct identity for real-number exponentiation is given as (a^b)^c = a^{bc} if a > 0, and (a^b)^c = a^{
In my book and in other places, they give this rule to obtain the domain for
a compound function: "the domain of (f o g) (x) is the set of all real
numbers x such that g(x) is in the domain of f (x)."

Then, if f(x)=x^(1/4)

and

g(x)=x^2

f(g(x)) = (x^2)^(1/4)

f(g(x)) = x^(1/2)

And applying the rule for the domain, it'll be all the real numbers. Isn't it illogical?

Thanks for the help and excuse me if there is any grammar mistakes, it's because english isn't my native language.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
f(g(x)) = (x^2)^(1/4)

f(g(x)) = x^(1/2)
This is wrong; those two expressions are not equal.

Hurkyl said:
This is wrong; those two expressions are not equal.

and why is that?

For example, their domains of definition are different.

(hint: [itex](a^b)^c = a^{bc}[/itex] is invalid, even though it closely resembles an identity you learned in your algebra classes)

Hurkyl said:
For example, their domains of definition are different.

(hint: [itex](a^b)^c = a^{bc}[/itex] is invalid, even though it closely resembles an identity you learned in your algebra classes)

ok the domains difference granted, what is the actual identity then?

One form is

For real numbers a, b, and c: if a > 0 then [itex](a^b)^c = a^{bc}[/itex]​

In fact, if you're just using plain real-number exponentiation, [itex]a^b[/itex] is only defined for a > 0. But usually we use a generalization that allows other special cases, such as integer exponents, and we have

For a nonzero real number a and integers b and c: [itex](a^b)^c = a^{bc}[/itex]​

There are some other cases you can write down -- but the point is that they are all qualified.

thanks

thanks, I think it's my school teacher's fault :P, for teaching me
(a^b)^c = a^bc without explaining the constraints of that identity.

Last edited:
You may have a recollection of an identity such as (a^2)^(1/2) = |a| -- that one is valid for all real numbers a. This problem is very similar.

1. What is the domain of a compound function?

The domain of a compound function is the set of all possible input values for the function. It is the set of values that can be substituted into the function to produce a valid output.

2. How do you find the domain of a compound function?

To find the domain of a compound function, you need to consider the domains of each individual function within the compound function. The domain of the compound function will be the set of values that are valid for all of the individual functions.

3. Can the domain of a compound function be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the domain of a compound function to be empty. This can happen if there are restrictions on the input values for one or more of the individual functions within the compound function.

4. What happens if the domain of a compound function is not specified?

If the domain of a compound function is not specified, it is assumed to be the largest possible set of input values that makes the function valid. This set may be limited by any restrictions on the individual functions within the compound function.

5. Why is it important to consider the domain of a compound function?

The domain of a compound function is important because it determines the set of valid input values and can affect the behavior of the function. It is also necessary for determining the range of the function and for making sure the function is mathematically well-defined.