Discharging a capacitor through a resistor

In summary, by using the equation Q = C*Vo*e-t/rc and plugging in the given values, we can solve for C and find that the value is approximately 4993 uF.
callawee
In the circuit below, the time required (s) for the charge on the capacitor to drop to 47% of its value after the switch is closed is 2.83 s. If R = 1340 ohms, what is C in μF (microfarad)?

(dq/dt) + q/(RC) = 0

(.47q)/(t) = q/(RC)
t/(.47R)= C
Convert C from F to uF by multiplying by 10^6

I am getting 4993 uF, but that is the wrong answer and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• homecr.gif
    homecr.gif
    895 bytes · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
callawee said:
In the circuit below, the time required (s) for the charge on the capacitor to drop to 47% of its value after the switch is closed is 2.83 s. If R = 1340 ohms, what is C in μF (microfarad)?

(dq/dt) + q/(RC) = 0

(.47q)/(t) = q/(RC)
t/(.47R)= C
Convert C from F to uF by multiplying by 10^6

I am getting 4993 uF, but that is the wrong answer and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to PF.

Maybe try starting with an equation that describes the discharging of a capacitor?

Q = C*Vo*e-t/rc

Plugging the values and dividing by Q = CVo at t=0

.47 = e-2.83/1340*C

Thank you, the equation worked!

1. What is discharging a capacitor through a resistor?

Discharging a capacitor through a resistor is the process of releasing the stored electrical energy in a capacitor through a resistor, resulting in a decrease in the voltage across the capacitor.

2. Why is discharging a capacitor through a resistor important?

Discharging a capacitor through a resistor is important because it allows for a controlled release of stored energy, preventing sudden and potentially dangerous discharges. It also allows for the use of the capacitor as a power source in electronic circuits.

3. How does discharging a capacitor through a resistor work?

When a capacitor is connected to a resistor, the capacitor's stored energy begins to flow through the resistor, gradually decreasing the voltage across the capacitor. This flow of energy is known as a discharge current, and it follows the exponential decay function given by Ohm's Law.

4. What is the formula for calculating the discharge time of a capacitor through a resistor?

The formula for calculating the discharge time of a capacitor through a resistor is t = RC, where t is the discharge time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

5. How can discharging a capacitor through a resistor be used in practical applications?

Discharging a capacitor through a resistor can be used in various practical applications, such as in camera flashes, electric vehicle regenerative braking, and in voltage regulators for electronic devices. It is also commonly used in circuits for smoothing out voltage ripples and for timing circuits.