Reccomend a good Graphing Calculator

In summary, the conversation was about finding a graphing calculator for an upcoming Honors Precalculus class. The person was looking for recommendations within a budget of $100-150, preferably with physics and math constants. The expert summarizer suggests that a scientific calculator would suffice for precalculus, but recommends the TI-89 or HP 50G for a more comprehensive calculator. They also mention the TI-84+, TI-83+, and Casio ClassPad 300 as other options. The expert also adds that a graphing calculator may not be necessary until Calculus, but can be useful for checking work. They also mention the possibility of using computer software like Mathematica for those interested in math and physics.
um0123
Well, i felt ambitious and signed up for Honors Precalculus. I think i will be fine considering i love math and physics, but i need a good graphing calculator. Around $100-150 if possible. And it would be nice if it had normal physics and math constants in it (since i am also taking physics next year).

Thanks in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't need a graphing calculator for anything you may be doing.

A scientific calculator is good enough(unless you want to play Mario kart on it. That is mainly what I use my graphing Calculator for).

Physics contents? You mean like scientific constants? Most scientific/graphing calculators have them.

If you mean programs, you need computer software(MATLAB, Mathematica,etc.) but they are much more expensive than what you could afford.

I wont? It seems like everyone in my school at the precalculus level has one...
Can you still reccomend some? I want to be prepared and I am sure it would be good to have in my senior year.
I don't mean programs, because i would need to take this to school. Plus we have a lot of those programs on my school computers.

um0123 said:
Can you still reccomend some? I want to be prepared and I am sure it would be good to have in my senior year.
I don't mean programs, because i would need to take this to school. Plus we have a lot of those programs on my school computers.

You don't really need one until you reach Calculus. At that point needing to know how to graph e-t*sin3t by hand isn't that vital...knowing what to do with the function's graph is.

If you really are looking for a comprehensive calculator try the TI-89 (Titanium) or HP 50G. I have the TI, and I can vouch for it from personal experience, but I'm sure the HP is fine as well.

Wellesley, (e^-t)*sin 3t is fairly easy to graph by hand by letting e^-t be the "amplitude".
um0123 said:

TI Nspire, TI-84+(it's a bit cheaper), HP 50g, Voyage 200( which is like $200, but the best one on the list).

Also if you are REALLY interested in math/physics, then you could get Mathematica (It's like $300. But It's fun to play with.)

Last edited:
Pinu7 said:
Wellesley, (e^-t)*sin 3t is fairly easy to graph by hand by letting e^-t be the "amplitude".

I was just using it as an example. You can pick another function that is more difficult, ti doesn't really matter. That one came to mind from a Differential Equations test that I took recently.

TI-83+ or TI-84. Good deals always are offered during "Going Back To School" time.

You don't really need graphing calculators in Pre-Calculus or College Algebra, but they can be very nice for checking some of your work.

I forgot, the Casio ClassPad 300, is probably the coolest graphing calculator! It uses a touchscreen!
383px-CasioClassPad300.JPG

Edit: If you get it, make sure you get the "plus" version.

1. What is a graphing calculator and why do I need one?

A graphing calculator is a handheld electronic device that can perform various mathematical calculations and display the results on a graph. It is useful for students and professionals in fields such as math, science, and engineering.

2. What features should I look for in a good graphing calculator?

Some important features to consider are a large screen, a high-resolution display, the ability to graph multiple equations at once, and the ability to save and recall previous calculations.

3. Which brand of graphing calculator is the best?

Some popular and highly rated brands include Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. Ultimately, the best brand for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator on standardized tests?

Most standardized tests, such as the SAT and ACT, allow the use of graphing calculators. However, it is important to check the specific requirements of the test you will be taking.

5. Are there any free alternatives to purchasing a graphing calculator?

Yes, there are some free graphing calculator apps and software available for download on computers and smartphones. However, these may not have all the features and capabilities of a physical graphing calculator.