Is there a safe maximum water temperature for competitive swimming?

• Medical
  • Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
In summary: Fahrenheit. the water temperature was too warm for competition and there were no spotters in the area to rescue the swimmer if he became overheated.
mugaliens
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-swimmerdies" .

I wasn't much of a competitive swimmer, but I was on the swim team and swam my share of laps, both as a kid, in high school, throughout college, and 25 years later this summer at the gym.

They said the water was 84 degrees F. I don't know about you, but if the water is about about 80 deg F, I get overheated while swimming laps. When we used to fire up the water heater in our backyard pool on a rainy day, 84 deg was enough to make it very cozy, and definitely steaming, and that was in the deep South!

84 degrees doesn't provide enough cooling for a human body in great shape from overheating. There's no valid coroner finding of "overexertion." It's either "heat exhaustion" or "heat stroke," and if it's either, particular with others who were complaining of swollen limbs, water loss, and confusion, all clear signs of overheating, then the water temp was simply too warm for competition, particularly for a 15k open-water race.

As a former Red Cross Water Safety Instructor, I fully support any measures FINA might make towards setting a maximum allowable temperature for competitive events.

"Swimming officials in the UAE canceled the 15km open water event which was scheduled to be held Wednesday at the same location, with swimmers having expressed concerns."

Good for the UAE officials! Bad on FINA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I'd be uncomfortable swimming competitively at that temperature - way too hot! I used to swim almost daily and it's a terrible feeling to overheat in the water. When it would happen, I couldn't get out of the water fast enough. Poor guy.

We always practiced at 76-78 degrees with 78 being sufficient for all but the most intense sprint workouts. I wouldn't want to be swimming for practice or competition at 80.

84 degrees is about perfect for lounging in a backyard pool with little to no activity.

When I read about that incident, two things came to mind. First, the water temperature issue, which is already discussed here. The second was the lack of "spotters" for the athletes. It wouldn't be too hard to notice an athlete floundering and rescue them in time in a closed pool, but in open water competition, the athletes don't exactly have a place they can get to if they feel they are getting into trouble to quickly get out of the water. I'm surprised they don't have spotters in boats for each athlete or small groups of athletes who can get to them and pull them out of the water at any sign of distress. It was disturbing to me that it took two hours for anyone to find the body and the only way they knew he was in trouble was when he didn't finish the race.

I don't know what FINA's reasoning is for not setting a maximum water temperature for competitive swimming, but it's clear from this tragic event that it needs to be addressed. Competitive swimming is a physically demanding sport and it is important to ensure the safety and well-being of athletes by setting a safe maximum water temperature. This could potentially prevent tragedies like this from happening in the future.

I would suggest that FINA conducts further research and studies on the effects of water temperature on athletes during competitive swimming. This could help in determining a safe maximum water temperature that takes into consideration the physical demands of the sport and the potential risks of overheating. Additionally, FINA should also consider implementing protocols for monitoring and regulating water temperature during events.

It is also important for coaches and athletes to be educated on the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke, and to have a plan in place for dealing with these situations. Proper hydration and cooling strategies should also be emphasized during training and competitions.

In conclusion, as a scientist and a former swimmer, I strongly believe that there should be a safe maximum water temperature for competitive swimming. It is the responsibility of governing bodies like FINA to prioritize the safety and well-being of athletes and take necessary measures to prevent tragedies like this from happening.

1. What was the cause of death for the swimmer in Dubai?

The cause of death for the swimmer in Dubai was drowning.

2. Was the swimmer participating in a competition or just swimming for leisure?

The swimmer was participating in a triathlon competition when he drowned.

3. Were there any warning signs or precautions in place for the swimmer?

The competition organizers had taken necessary precautions such as having lifeguards, rescue boats, and medical personnel on standby. However, the swimmer may have encountered unforeseen challenges during the race.

4. Has this happened before in Dubai or during this particular competition?

There have been previous incidents of swimmers dying during triathlon competitions in Dubai, but this was the first fatality in this specific competition.

5. What measures are being taken to prevent similar incidents in the future?

The organizers of the triathlon competition are reviewing their safety protocols and may make changes such as altering the swimming course or increasing the number of lifeguards on duty. They are also providing grief counseling and support for the family of the deceased swimmer.

Back