Find the area of region enclosed by astroid

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, an astroid is a type of mathematical curve formed by the intersection of three circular arcs, also known as a hypocycloid or sinusoidal spiral. Its equation is (x^2/ a^2)^(2/3) + (y^2/ b^2)^(2/3) = 1, and the area enclosed by an astroid can be found using the formula A = (3/8) * a * b. The area cannot be negative, but can be zero in certain cases. There is also a specific method to find the area using an integral formula.
vande060

Homework Statement

find the region enclosed by astroid

x= acosϑ 3
y=asinϑ 3

the astroid looks like this picture in my book, with the shaded region stretching for x (-a,a)

and for y(-a,a)

Asteroid.png

Homework Equations

i think the formula is ... from (-a to a) ∫ y * x' dϑ

The Attempt at a Solution

a = ∫ acosϑ 3 * 3asinϑ 2 cosϑ

a = 3a2∫ cosϑ 4 * sinϑ 2

a = 3a2∫ cosϑ 4 * (1-cosϑ 2 )

a = 3a2∫ cosϑ 4 - cosϑ6

is this one the right track, if so I can evaluate the rest of that integral myself

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula would be:

[tex]A=\int_{-a}^a y dx = \int_{\pi}^0 y \frac {dx} {d\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Please note that this will be only the area above the x-axis.
To get the total area, you will need to double that.

Your derivative of x should be:

[tex]\frac {dx} {d\theta}=\frac {d} {d\theta} (a\cos^3\theta)=3a\cos^2\theta\cdot -\sin\theta[/tex]

Substituting gives:

[tex]A=\int_{\pi}^0 (a\sin^3\theta) \cdot (3a\cos^2\theta\cdot -\sin\theta) d\theta
=3a^2\int_0^{\pi} \sin^4\theta \cos^2\theta d\theta
[/tex]

I think you can take it from there.
So you were on the right track, but made a mistake in substitution.

[edit]Also, you should take note of the integral boundaries. They can not just be left out.[/edit]

quick question, how did you decide the bound from pi to 0 and then you flipped them, it has something to do with the negative sign right
?

vande060 said:
quick question, how did you decide the bound from pi to 0 and then you flipped them, it has something to do with the negative sign right
?

In the first equation we shift from x to theta.
A value of x=-a corresponds to a value theta=pi, and x=+a corresponds to theta=0.
So the integral is from pi to 0.

In the third equation, there is a minus sign in the equation.
Flipping the boundaries means flipping the sign, or in this case removing the minus sign.

I like Serena said:
In the first equation we shift from x to theta.
A value of x=-a corresponds to a value theta=pi, and x=+a corresponds to theta=0.
So the integral is from pi to 0.

In the third equation, there is a minus sign in the equation.
Flipping the boundaries means flipping the sign, or in this case removing the minus sign.

okay i was scratching my head about this one but i think you get it by just substituting x for a and solving for theta right?

-a = acos3ϑ

-1 = cos3ϑ

ϑ = pi

a = acos3ϑ

1 = cos3ϑ

ϑ = 0

did i arrive at that correctly?

vande060 said:
okay i was scratching my head about this one but i think you get it by just substituting x for a and solving for theta right?

-a = acos3ϑ

-1 = cos3ϑ

ϑ = pi

a = acos3ϑ

1 = cos3ϑ

ϑ = 0

did i arrive at that correctly?

Yes. That is entirely correct! :smile:

Actually, what I did is look at the graph you posted.
With theta being the angle with the positive x-axis, a value of pi corresponds to x=-a.
Substituting pi in the expression for x shows that this is correct.

1. How do you define an astroid?

An astroid is a type of mathematical curve that is formed by the intersection of three circular arcs. It is also known as a hypocycloid or a sinusoidal spiral.

2. What is the equation for an astroid?

The equation for an astroid is (x^2/ a^2)^(2/3) + (y^2/ b^2)^(2/3) = 1, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

3. How do you find the area of a region enclosed by an astroid?

To find the area of a region enclosed by an astroid, you can use the formula A = (3/8) * a * b, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

4. Can the area of an astroid be negative?

No, the area of an astroid cannot be negative as it is always a positive value. However, the area can be zero if the astroid is a single point or if the region enclosed by it is empty.

5. Is there a specific method to find the area of an astroid?

Yes, there is a specific method to find the area of an astroid. You can use the integral formula A = ∫(y * dx) from x = -a to x = a, where y is the equation of the astroid curve and a is the semi-major axis.