Calculus Based Physics, Need Help

In summary, the speaker is struggling with their first physics class which is calculus based. They are having trouble finding good resources and their current textbook is not helpful. They are looking for advice and recommendations for calculus-based physics resources, including the books "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and "The Feynman Lectures" and the MIT Opencourseware 8.01.
DEdesigns57
I am taking my first physics class at school and seem to be having a hard time doing the problems(web assign problems). The course is calculus based which is okay with me because I am in Calc 3. Problem is that I can not find any good Calc based physics resources. My book "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" is not my cup of tea. Anything I find relating to phiscs online is algera based, do you guys have any reosuces, websites, books, or advice for me to understand this subject from a calculus point of view?

Physics news on Phys.org
get the physics book by Serway. You can find an older edition online for really cheap.

The Feynman lectures??

MIT Opencourseware 8.01. Google it. It has video lectures by the wonderful prof. Lewin, including accompanying practice exams and solutions. Ocw is a life saver for some of the "gateway" undergraduate math and physics courses.

Webassign is the physics book by serway. I am using it too, not really a big fan of it either.

1. What is calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics is a branch of physics that uses the principles of calculus to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It involves the use of mathematical equations and concepts such as derivatives and integrals to analyze and solve problems in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and thermodynamics.

2. Why is calculus important in physics?

Calculus is important in physics because it allows us to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems in a precise and quantitative manner. Many physical laws and theories, such as Newton's laws of motion and Maxwell's equations, involve calculus in their formulation and can only be understood and applied with a strong foundation in calculus concepts.

3. What are some common applications of calculus in physics?

Calculus is used in a wide range of applications in physics, including calculating the velocity and acceleration of objects, determining the rate of change of physical quantities such as force and energy, and solving problems involving motion under the influence of forces. It is also used in the study of electric and magnetic fields, the behavior of waves, and the laws of thermodynamics.

4. How can I improve my understanding of calculus-based physics?

To improve your understanding of calculus-based physics, it is important to have a solid understanding of fundamental calculus concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. You can also benefit from practicing solving physics problems that involve calculus, as well as seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions.

5. Is calculus-based physics difficult?

Calculus-based physics can be challenging, especially for those who are new to calculus. However, with consistent practice and a strong understanding of the underlying concepts, it can become easier to grasp. It is important to seek help when needed and to approach the subject with a positive attitude and determination to learn.