Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator-Eigenfunction & Eigenvalue

In summary, the equation u1(q)=-q^{3}-q^{2}+3q is an eigenfunction for the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Hamiltonian and has the eigenvalue -q^{3}.
Calcifur

Homework Statement

Show that the equation below is an eigenfunction for the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Hamiltonian and find its corresponding eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

u1(q)=A*q*exp((-q[itex]^{2}[/itex])/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I know that the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Hamiltonian (H[itex]_{QHO}[/itex]) is :
(H[itex]_{QHO}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]ω(((-d^2)/(dq^2))+q^2) and I know that:
(H[itex]_{QHO}[/itex])u1(q)=Eu1(q)

but how do I show that it's an eigenfunction? Simply subbing it into the eqn doesn't appear to help.

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calcifur said:
Simply subbing it into the eqn doesn't appear to help.
It should. Either that or you need to solve the differential equation, which is a much harder task.

Show us what you got when you plugged u1 into the equation.

vela said:
Show us what you got when you plugged u1 into the equation.

Ok, so here goes:

HQHO*U1(q)=E*U1(q)

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]ω([itex]\frac{-d^{2}}{dq^{2}}[/itex]+q[itex]^{2}[/itex]).A.q exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex])=E*U1(q)

[itex]\frac{A}{2}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]ω(-[itex]\frac{d}{dq}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dq}[/itex](q.exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex]))+(q[itex]^{3}[/itex])exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex]))=E*U1(q)

which eventually comes to:

(q[itex]^{3}[/itex]+q[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2q-1)exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex])[itex]\frac{A}{2}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]ω=E*U1(q)

So does this mean that : (q[itex]^{3}[/itex])+q[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2q-1) is the corresponding eigenvalue?

Is my method correct?

Many thanks.

You must have calculated the second derivative incorrectly. You should get
$$u_1''(q) = (q^3-3q)e^{-q^2/q}.$$

vela said:
You must have calculated the second derivative incorrectly.

Thanks, my mistake. So I now have:

[itex]\frac{\hbarω}{2}[/itex]A.exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex])(-q[itex]^{3}[/itex]-q[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3q)=E.U[itex]_{1}[/itex](q).

So is -q[itex]^{3}[/itex]-q[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3q the corresponding eigenvalue? Or can I simplify even further?

Many thanks.

That's still not correct. The eigenvalue is a constant. It can't depend on q.

I think I've figured it out now. Many thanks Vela

1. What is the Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

The Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of the system. It is defined as the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy of the oscillator.

2. What are Eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

The Eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator are the solutions to the Schrödinger equation for the system. They represent the possible states of the oscillator and are characterized by their corresponding Eigenvalues.

3. How are Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues related to the Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

The Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues are intimately related to the Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator. The Eigenfunctions are the solutions to the Schrödinger equation with the Hamiltonian as the operator, and the Eigenvalues are the values that correspond to the energy of each Eigenfunction state.

4. What is the significance of the Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues in the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

The Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues play a crucial role in describing the behavior and energy states of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator. They provide a complete set of solutions to the Schrödinger equation and allow for the prediction of the system's energy levels and probabilities of being in a specific state.

5. How can the Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator be used in practical applications?

The Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator has many practical applications, including quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It is also used in the study of atomic and molecular systems and in understanding the behavior of particles in a potential well. Additionally, the Hamiltonian is crucial in the development of new technologies and materials in the field of nanoscience.