Quick beginner question on wave-particle duality

In summary, a photon is a wave-particle that behaves the same whether or not you measure it as a wave or a particle.
Hercuflea
For a given entity, what is the convention for determining whether it behaves as a wave or as a particle? I know that we generally treat neutrons as waves when they travel faster than .2c, but is there an "absolute" way of determining this for a general particle, or is there a wave-threshold convention that I should be familiar with?

My interpretation would be that we treat the entity as a particle when it has a deBroglie wavelength on the order of atomic dimensions (~ 10-10 m), and that wavelengths much larger than atomic dimensions would be treated as waves. Is this a valid assumption (considering need to know this for an upcoming exam).

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what type of observation you perform, not on the speed of the particle. Relativistic particles in particle accelerators are still modeled as classical particles when we design accelerators and study their trajectories. And low energy electrons can easily behave in a wave-like pattern without needing relativistic speeds (Bloch wave function in periodic crystals).

Zz.

Hmm..my professor doesn't specify exactly what kind of observation is being performed. Would you say that for cosmic ray particles, alpha and beta particles emitted from radiation, and free neutrons that my explanation is sufficient?

Hercuflea said:
Hmm..my professor doesn't specify exactly what kind of observation is being performed. Would you say that for cosmic ray particles, alpha and beta particles emitted from radiation, and free neutrons that my explanation is sufficient?

Sufficient? For what purpose?

As I've stated, in many instances, the classical picture of these particles are more than adequate.

I will form a guess to what the issue here is. You are being taught about the deBroglie wavelength, and somehow you need to show that the higher the velocity, the "more apparent" is this wavelength such that it will be easier to detect it effects.

This is different than detecting the wave-particle behavior, because as I've said, both behavior can be detected at all velocities, depending on the experimental setup.

Zz.

The problem is almost one of semantics. We often consider this as a a photon being like a classical billiard ball when we all about acting as a particle and then like a wave on water when considering the wavelike action. The 'reality' (whatever that is) is that the concept that we have of a 'photon' is really just an analogy of a mathematical construct so that we can try to relate to the thing we are talking about. Possibly a more accurate description could be that the photon is a 'wave-particle' (we don't have these things in the macro world we live in) and so the answer you get depends on the question you ask. If you set up an experiment to measure it's 'waviness' you get a wavy answer and the same for a 'particular' question.
If you start thinking about photons in terms of everyday life, you really run into some problems - how big is a photon? Which direction dose it travel in (when emitted does info.low a narrow channel or does it spread out in an ever expanding sphere)? It travels at the speed f light so does it experience time or is it forever young?
Photons can really mess with your head.

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that particles, such as electrons and photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. How was wave-particle duality discovered?

The concept of wave-particle duality was first proposed by French physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924, based on his work on the behavior of electrons. It was later confirmed through experiments by scientists such as Arthur Compton and Clinton Davisson and Lester Germer.

3. How does wave-particle duality relate to the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. It involves firing particles, such as electrons, through two slits and observing an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This shows that particles behave like waves, which is a key component of wave-particle duality.

4. Can all particles exhibit wave-particle duality?

Yes, all particles, including atoms, molecules, and even large objects, can exhibit wave-particle duality. However, the effects are typically only noticeable on the quantum scale.

5. How does wave-particle duality impact our understanding of the physical world?

Wave-particle duality challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world and forces us to consider the strange and complex nature of particles. It has also led to the development of many practical applications, such as electron microscopy and quantum computing.