Inside radius of atomic electron cloud vs Z

In summary, the Bohr radius is the radius of the maximum of the radial probability of the s1 electron cloud, for a Hydrogen atom. Z has a significant effect on this radius, and the U238 atom has a smaller Bohr radius than the H1 atom.
NLB
I am interested in knowing if the inside radius of the inner most part of the electron cloud is a constant versus Z. For example is it always the Bohr radius, or does this inner radius change as a function of Z? What is the experimental evidence?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you defining/thinking of the radius?
By combining the concept of a "radius" and a "cloud" in the context of electrons, you appear to be mixing up two different models.

All atoms have at least one s1 electron - the radial wavefunction for that state is continuous from 0 to infinity - where would you put the "minimum radius"? Here's how the radial wavefunctions vary with Z. You can google for the shapes.

...anyway, the atomic diameter is roughly the same order of magnitude regardless of Z, which means that the electrons get more tightly packed as Z increases. Which I suspect is what you are asking about.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the information. Very useful.

I am asking about the radius at which the maximum of the radial probability of the electron occurs. I am not mixing up two different concepts. This is how the Bohr radius is defined now--as the radius of the maximum of radial probability of the s1 electron cloud, for a Hydrogen atom.

I'm not interested in knowing the "minimum radius" of that s1 electron cloud. Rather, I am interested in the most likely radial position of that s1 electron, as a function of Z. From your information, I see that it varies, quite a bit. Thank you.

Cool - glad to be able to help.

I know, it can be vexing when people don't just "get" what you are asking, but I have to get a clearer picture if I am to avoid unwittingly side-tracking the thread. Thanks for your understanding on this. :)

Thank you again for your help. Another question, though. In the link you gave me, both functions rR(r) and (rR(r))^2 are plotted, but with no explanation or definition.

So, I assumed that rR(r) was the radial probability, and I took the formula of rR(r) and differentiated it with respect to r. Then I set the resulting derivative equal to zero, and solved for r, which would be the r for the maximum of the function rR(r). This should give me what I want--the maximum radial probability as a function of Z. What I got was rmax = a0/Z. (I'm assuming a0 is the Bohr radius of H1 atom, 5.29E-11 meters.) If all this is right, then for U238, where Z=92, then this maximum radial probability of the s1 inner radius is:

(5.29E-11)/(92)=(2.62E-13) meters.

Which, of course, is a quite a bit smaller than the Bohr radius for the H1 atom.

Does this make sense? Am I doing this right, or do I need to work with the function (rR(r))^2 instead?
Thanks again for your help.

##R_{nl}(r)## is the radial component of the single-electron wavefunction.
The probability density function is the square modulus.

i.e. The probability of finding an electron in state |n,l> between r and r+dr is ##p(r)dr=|R_{nl}(r)|^2dr## so ##\int_0^\infty p(r)dr = 1## right?

The mean radius is $$\langle r \rangle=\int_0^\infty R_{nl}^\star r R_{nl} dr$$
... since ##R_{nl}## is real, that is where they get the ##r|R_{nl}(r)|^2## from.
It's just the expectation value of r: E[r].

Similarly $$\langle r^2 \rangle=\int_0^\infty r^2 R_{nl}^2 dr$$ ... would be E[r^2].

Likes 1 person

1. What is the inside radius of an atomic electron cloud?

The inside radius of an atomic electron cloud refers to the distance from the nucleus at which an electron is most likely to be found. This distance varies based on the atomic number (Z) of the element.

2. How does the inside radius of an atomic electron cloud change with increasing Z?

As the atomic number (Z) increases, the inside radius of an atomic electron cloud decreases. This is due to the increasing strength of the positive charge of the nucleus, which pulls the electrons closer to the center of the atom.

3. What is the relationship between the inside radius of an atomic electron cloud and the size of an atom?

The inside radius of an atomic electron cloud is directly related to the size of an atom. As the inside radius decreases, the size of the atom also decreases.

4. How is the inside radius of an atomic electron cloud determined experimentally?

The inside radius of an atomic electron cloud is determined through various experimental techniques, such as X-ray diffraction or spectroscopy. These methods involve bombarding atoms with high energy particles or photons and measuring the resulting interactions to determine the distribution of electrons around the nucleus.

5. Can the inside radius of an atomic electron cloud be predicted for all elements?

No, the inside radius of an atomic electron cloud cannot be predicted for all elements. The distribution of electrons in an atom is complex and can be affected by factors such as electron spin and the presence of multiple electron shells. However, general trends can be predicted based on the atomic number (Z) of an element.