Register to reply

Can I use my laptop as monitor for a desktop?

by yungman
Tags: desktop, laptop, monitor
Share this thread:
yungman
Mar5-14, 07:21 PM
P: 3,898
I just bought a new desktop and I need to power it up and load all the basic programs. I don't want to steal the monitor from the existing desktop because my wife is using it all the time. I don't have another monitor so I have to resort to trying to use one of my old laptop as monitor.

So!!! Can I do that? What port do I use? Do I have to run anything to make the laptop as monitor? I know I can hook a monitor into a laptop, but can the other way around doable?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Routaran
Mar5-14, 10:31 PM
P: 292
the simplest solution is to borrow your wife's monitor for a few minutes. Boot up your new desktop and enable remote desktop on it (if you have a version lower than professional, then install UltraVNC server to setup remote access on the desktop)
When that's done, use the notebook computer to remote to your new desktop.

I do not believe plugging your desktop video out to your notebook computer's video out will work. However, i have never tried this. Give it a shot and see if it will work.
yungman
Mar7-14, 01:28 AM
Thanks, I decided to share the monitor with the desk top and wait until my wife goes to bed and work on it.

Borek
Mar7-14, 02:28 AM
Admin
P: 23,568
Can I use my laptop as monitor for a desktop?

Do you have a reasonably modern TV?
yungman
Mar7-14, 02:35 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Do you have a reasonably modern TV?
I have a Sam Sung LCD of less than 3 years old. But I am almost complete in replacing the old computer already.

Thanks
harborsparrow
Mar7-14, 07:53 AM
PF Gold
P: 347
If it's Windows, just use Remote Desktop to connect to it. You'll have to logon once and enable Remote Desktop access, and it is easier if your logon on both machines is identical. I use my desktop machine all the time remotely from my laptop and seldom, if ever, turn on the monitor and actually logon to the desktop machine directly.

Register to reply