Register to reply

Geometry: why yaw, pitch, roll in that order?

by Avichal
Tags: geometry, order, pitch, roll
Share this thread:
Avichal
Apr11-14, 02:48 PM
P: 283
It is basically a question in computer graphics but I guess math sub-forum will suit this question.

While rotating a point, why we first apply yaw, then pitch and then roll in that order? Of course if we change the order, final rotation changes but why this specific order works? Some proof or logical explanation will help.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
SteamKing
Apr11-14, 05:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,517
Quote Quote by Avichal View Post
It is basically a question in computer graphics but I guess math sub-forum will suit this question.

While rotating a point, why we first apply yaw, then pitch and then roll in that order? Of course if we change the order, final rotation changes but why this specific order works? Some proof or logical explanation will help.

Thanks!
Who or what applies yaw, pitch, and roll in that order?

As long as you specify a certain order of rotations, derive the transformations for that order, and stick to it, the order doesn't matter.
D H
Apr11-14, 08:02 PM
Mentor
P: 15,166
Quote Quote by Avichal View Post
While rotating a point, why we first apply yaw, then pitch and then roll in that order? Of course if we change the order, final rotation changes but why this specific order works?
Any permutation of yaw/pitch/roll will "work". There are six such permutations. All six "work" in the sense that any one these rotation sequences can represent any possible orientation of a body in three dimensional space.

In fact, there are six more sequences that "work" in the sense of being able to represent any possible orientation in three dimensional space. There's a yaw/roll/yaw sequence (that's the canonical Euler sequence), but also yaw/pitch/yaw, etc. Even better (even worse?), there are twelve more such Euler-like sequences that "work" in this sense. Typically a yaw/pitch/roll sequence involves a rotation about the z axis, then about the y' axis, then about the x'' axis. Well, what if you rotate about the original z axis, then the original y axis, and then the original x axis? That "works", too, in the sense of being able to represent any possible orientation in three dimensional space. This makes for a total of 24 such Euler-like rotation sequences.

I intentionally put "works" in quotes. Not one of these 24 Euler-like sequences is very useful mathematically. They are useful only because we humans have a hard time grasping the mathematics of the group SO(3).

Stephen Tashi
Apr12-14, 12:04 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,295
Geometry: why yaw, pitch, roll in that order?

Given that "apply" means to perform a linear transformation relative to the current coordinate frame, I find it easier to visualize applying yaw first. It gives the general "heading". Likewise, I think its easier to visualize the effect of applying pitch first and then roll. Thinking of an airplane, suppose you apply roll first. If you then apply yaw, the direction of the plane is turned about the current vertical axis, not the original vertical axis.

Register to reply