Solving Kirchoff's Rules for R1=10 Ohms, R2=15 Ohms, R3=5 Ohms

• Thread starter wazzup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, current is flowing through the circuit diagram, with R1=10 ohms, R2=15 ohms, and R3=5 ohms.
wazzup
Q) Given R1=10 Ohms, R2=15 Ohms, R3=5 Ohms, find the current going through each resistor in this pathway in the attached circuit diagram.

My solution is as follows.. i'd appreciate it if you guys could verify if its correct or not:

I2=I1+I3-------------------------Equation 1

Starting from a and going through loop agdf:

-E1+I2R2+I1R1=0
15I2+10I1=6 -----------------Equation 2

Starting from k and going through loop kmdl:

-I3R3-I2R2+E2=0
-5I3-15I2=-3--------------------Equation 3

Plugging Equation 1 into Equation 2

15I2+10(I2-I3)=6
25I2-10I3=6--------------------Equation 4

Adding Equation 3 and Equation 4

25I2 - 10I3= 6
-15I2 - 5I3=-3

By multiplying equation 4 by 2 and then subtracting both, I get:

55I2=12
I2= .218A

Plugging this value of I2 into Equation 4:

25I2-10I3=6
25(.218) - 10I3=6
-10I3=.55
I3= -0.055A

Plugging I2 and I3 into Equation 1

I2=I1+I3
I1=I2-I3
I1= (.218A)-(-0.055A) = .273A

Therefore, I1= 0.273A
I2= 0.218A
I3= -0.055A

Thanks much.

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations seem correct to me. I didn't solve them, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I got this answer wrong on a test for some reason. Could anyone confirm that they got the same answers ( in case I messed up on the algebra,etc )?

Thanks

Looks good to me. And well organized to boot! :biggrin:

-Dan

wazzup said:
I got this answer wrong on a test for some reason. Could anyone confirm that they got the same answers ( in case I messed up on the algebra,etc )?

Thanks

You know, you can always check your algebra by simply plugging back your values of current in the initial equations. If they work (within a certain precision) then you know you did not mess up the algebra.
The only other way to go wrong is in writing the initial equations in the first place.

Patrick

Thanks much guys.. Appreciate it :)

1. What are Kirchoff's Rules?

Kirchoff's Rules, also known as Kirchoff's Laws, are fundamental principles in electrical circuit analysis. They are used to determine the voltage and current in different parts of a circuit.

2. How do I solve Kirchoff's Rules for a specific circuit?

To solve Kirchoff's Rules for a specific circuit, you need to apply the two laws: Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of voltage rises in that loop.

3. What are the values of R1, R2, and R3 in this specific circuit?

In this circuit, R1 has a value of 10 Ohms, R2 has a value of 15 Ohms, and R3 has a value of 5 Ohms. These values represent the resistance of each resistor in the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in this circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in this circuit, you need to use the formula for resistors in series: Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3. In this case, Rtotal = 10 Ohms + 15 Ohms + 5 Ohms = 30 Ohms.

5. What is the current flowing through each resistor in this circuit?

To find the current through each resistor, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law. By applying KVL to the circuit, you can determine the voltage drop across each resistor. Then, by using Ohm's Law, you can calculate the current through each resistor.