What is the effect of ageing on the hardness of aluminium alloys?

In summary: F4Vv5QzrT4UIn summary, during the heat treatment of aluminum alloys, two processes - solution and precipitation heat treatment - are used. After solution heat treatment, the material should be soft and ductile, but this is only temporary as subsequent ageing causes precipitation and increases the strength and hardness. The final hardness after precipitation heat treatment should be significantly higher than the original alloy and higher than the hardness after solution heat treatment. The process of ageing allows for the diffusion of precipitates into the aluminum base, creating a stronger and harder material. Leaving an aluminum alloy to "age" for a long period of time would not result in the same level of hardness as the precipitation heat treatment process
the_dialogue
During the heat treatment of Aluminum alloys, two processes: Solution and Precipitation heat treatment were used.

Should the hardness increase or decrease from the original alloy after solution heat treatment? My reference text says that the material should be "soft and ductile" after solution heat treatment, but I am not sure if this is accurate.

What should be the effect on the hardness after Precipitation heat treatment? I was under the impression that this final hardness should be significantly higher than the original alloy and higher than the hardness measured after solution heat treatment.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
the_dialogue said:
During the heat treatment of Aluminum alloys, two processes: Solution and Precipitation heat treatment were used.

Should the hardness increase or decrease from the original alloy after solution heat treatment? My reference text says that the material should be "soft and ductile" after solution heat treatment, but I am not sure if this is accurate.
It is accurate. Immediately after a solution heat treatment, you will have a soft alloy...for a few days at most. Remember, what you are doing is freezing a high temperature solution at a metastable low temperature state. It is the subsequent ageing that causes precipitation to occur, which increases the strength and hardness.

What should be the effect on the hardness after Precipitation heat treatment? I was under the impression that this final hardness should be significantly higher than the original alloy and higher than the hardness measured after solution heat treatment.
That sounds right.

Thank you for replying Gokul. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few more questions.

I seem to be confused with the whole idea of heat treatment. We start off with an aluminum matrix with precipitates in it. We heat the alloy and cool it, so that the precipitates (which blend with the aluminum to form one phase at a high temperature) "freeze" into the aluminum base. Therefore, i suppose I understand why the hardness is lower -- because the precipitates are what hinders dislocation movement in the first place, hence making the material harder. Upon the secondary treatment, which heats it to a lower temperature (150C), some of the precipitates are allowed to diffuse into the aluminum base, and once again the material is quenched. Now at this state, I would guess that there are a few more "frozen" percipitates? But why would this state be significantly stronger than the original alloy?

Why don't we simply leave an aluminum alloy lying around for years, until a lot of the precipitates have diffused and there is max. hindering of dislocation movement?

Thank you! I have absolutely no one to ask this question but you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having problems acheiving the correct hardness on LM25 TE, tried casting with the mag at the higher end, but made no diffrence. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ageing aluminium causes crystals to grow inside the aluminium crystals which interfere with the lattice and actually reinforce and harden the crystal structure of the alloy. In this new structure the aluminium alloys ability to shuffle its atoms and change shape is prevented making it harder and stronger.

Here is a link to a you tube clip which may be useful to you:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is heat treatment of aluminum?

Heat treatment of aluminum is a process in which the metal is heated to a specific temperature and then cooled in order to change its physical and mechanical properties. This can include increasing strength, hardness, and ductility.

2. What are the different types of heat treatment for aluminum?

There are several different types of heat treatment for aluminum, including solution heat treatment, age hardening, annealing, and precipitation hardening. Each type involves different heating and cooling processes to achieve specific properties in the aluminum.

3. What are the benefits of heat treatment for aluminum?

Heat treatment can improve the strength, hardness, and ductility of aluminum, making it more suitable for certain applications. It can also improve the corrosion resistance and overall performance of the metal.

4. What are the common applications of heat-treated aluminum?

Heat-treated aluminum is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction. It is often used for structural components, as well as in engine parts, aircraft frames, and building facades.

5. How is the heat treatment process controlled?

The heat treatment process is controlled by carefully monitoring and adjusting the temperature, heating and cooling rates, and holding times. This ensures that the aluminum is heated and cooled at the correct rate and for the necessary amount of time to achieve the desired properties.